Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

Does my new computer suck?

Yes
1 (33.3%)
No
0 (0%)
It's Average
1 (33.3%)
Not enough info
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: Slow game download with Firefox downloader  (Read 4191 times)

Revered Revenant

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
    Slow game download with Firefox downloader
    « on: March 21, 2009, 12:09:57 PM »
    I'm not exactly sure why, but I've never actually been able to get over 150kb/s downloads.. I have had 4 different brand new computers and a few different internet providers, yet still never broke that seemingly elusive barrier.

In the past few DAYS (yes, its taken that long) I have downloaded World of Warcraft, the TBC expansions, and all the patches up to 3.0.9. Now I need to get the WTLK expansion so that I can actually start playing again on my new computer. Problem is, the only download I could find was .rar and it goes at a somewhat steady 50kb/s. That is way too <censored> slow for me because at 209mb's downloaded, I still have to wait an estimated 1day 10hours. I was wondering if there was a way to finally break and even surpass the 150kb/s barrier, so that I do not spend the rest of my life downloading this expansion. I mean.. it's 6.5gb!!  :'(

Anyway, my computer is a Dell Latitude D610. My ISP is AT&T, idk if that helps. Im using the newest version of firefox (not 3.1 beta for downloads) so it all goes through the handy dandy firefox download manager..yay. =P

PLEASE HELP MAKE IT FASTER.

My computer has:
    1.73ghz
    33gb available
    504MB ram (I know, weird number.. But thats what it says..)
    Windows XP

Also.. If you could help me raise the RAM without installing new physical RAM, that would be great. (The first problem is the most prominent though.)

Edit:

Something weird happened I thought was worthy of note.. When I took my laptop by the microwave to get my soup the speed dropped to only 15kb/s.. Then, when the microwave stopped going after about 10 seconds it popped back up to my aforementioned speed.. Anyone know why the microwave interfered so much?
    « Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 12:39:32 PM by Revered Revenant »
    Common differences differentiate the different from the common.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Slow game download with Firefox downloader
    « Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 02:25:27 PM »
    Anyone know why the microwave interfered so much?

radio (Wifi) is electromagnetic radiation. So are microwaves.

what is your signal strength?
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

iamyourmom

Intermediate

• Blood Ravens Force Commander
      « Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 09:41:02 PM »
      Well. It depends on where you download from, because some websites put a bottleneck on how fast you can download. And since you are downloading with wireless, it is bound to be slower than broadband LAN.

As for download accelarators, you could try Internet Download Manager, which provides pretty good acceleration. Some browswers, provide a built in download accelerator. Such as Opera. I use it, and downloading from Rapidshare gives me 'bout 200 kbps.
      Please do not call your computer stupid when it breaks or lags. Computers can only do what they are programmed to. and thus, often it is the user that is stupid. GET MY DRIFT?

Dustinator

Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 04:34:09 PM »
        I can't rise your ram but do a registry defrag with glary utilities it all ways speeds up a system. www.glaryutilities.com/
        By the way use the free one and don't do the registry fix it makes more problems. Hope this helps!!
        1 day I will get a faster computer.

Revered Revenant

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
          « Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 05:13:00 PM »
          My signal strength is.. Well, I'm literally sitting right next to the *censored* thing so if there was a "perfect" signal strength to replace excellent, I would have it. =P
          Common differences differentiate the different from the common.