Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: my old monitor wont work with new computer  (Read 2371 times)

artist

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

my old monitor wont work with new computer
    « on: March 23, 2009, 04:00:40 AM »
    hi all..my friend gave me his old computer ...i plugged in my own monitor and it says

"monitor is in power save mode"

the computer is booting up and my keyboard works with it...but it wont let me view anything apart from that... i know that he used to use the computer for gaming online and maybe i have to change some settings..but im not sure what.

does anyone have any suggestions for me....??

thanks for reading

KingPincer

Intermediate

Re: my old monitor wont work with new computer
      « Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 04:08:06 AM »
      Try to put the computer to another monitor and and see if you could see something.

artist

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 04:25:25 AM »
        thanks but i dont have another monitor that i can use... :'(

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 09:10:37 AM »
        Any switches on the monitor itself ? ?
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

artist

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 09:37:31 AM »
          hi...thanks for replying...the only switches are a menu button for contrast n stuff which did nothing when pressed and the on/off switch...

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 10:07:38 AM »
            how did you set this up?  I used a crt when I installed xp on my one machine and then attempted to use a lcd but after a while it didnt work.  Casue of the differnce in hardware.
            Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

artist

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 10:43:02 AM »
              im really baffled  ???...the computer he gave me is a newer version of the one i that im using now...i know the computer he gave me is in full working order ...i just assumed that my monitor and his computer would work together ..i've never had this kind of trouble before...all i can think is that because he was online gaming that he was probably using a joystick..does anyone think this might be the problem and maybe i have to do something at start up of the newer computer???

thanks

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 10:47:50 AM »
                It was the way windows was configured when it was installed.   You can attempt to do a repair mite work. 
                Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

artist

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 03:05:47 AM »
                  hi there....thanks for helping me...it was just plain sillyness on my part...i tried searching in google about my problem and i read a post that said someones son had plugged the monitor into the wrong port....so i had a look at my friends machine and it had a monitor port on the graphics card itself...i had it plugged into the standard one...so here i am on the new computer...yay

thankyou