Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: no explorer amongst other windows apps  (Read 1943 times)

dvkid69

no explorer amongst other windows apps
« on: March 23, 2009, 04:40:07 AM »
Hello wondered if someone could help?

I am/was running xp on a work pc. it worked fine until January when i tried to load an update to some third party software. It didn't install correctly and I realised i hadn't attempted to install as administrator as suggesterd by the software. I rebooted or logged off (can't remember now) but ever since it boots up, takes longer than normal but does let me log onto the domain. once logged on the desktop background appears but there is no explorer,no task bar,no desktop icons. in effect, it is a blank screen.

i can view the hard drive via taskbar manager, but it won't run many windows applications such as system restore,ie explorer & explorer. most other non ms applications will work but not all.

i have tried to do a repair from a setup disk but it won't recognise the hard drive (it is a sata drive).

I have contacted the software company that appears to have caused the problem but they have yet to suggest a thing yet, they have had approx 8 weeks to mull over it .

I would try to format it and try again but i am reluctant as it would mean losing my office oem installation and having to purchase another copy.

Can anyone please help?

thanks

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: no explorer amongst other windows apps
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 07:26:34 AM »
first get explorer back up by using Task manager, File->New Task, "Explorer"

This should give you back your start menu- where hopefully you can run system restore.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.