Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vista Drivers Missing  (Read 2414 times)

OMC_Joe

Topic Starter

Rookie

Vista Drivers Missing
    « on: March 23, 2009, 10:01:45 AM »
    I bought wife new computer from Comp USA for $219.99. I'm sure that many of you jumped on that one yourselves. It was described exactly as follows by Tiger/CompUSA.

Lenovo 3000 J205 9686-A12 Desktop PC w/2GB Ram - AMD Sempron 3600+, 512MB, 80GB, DVD-ROM/CD-RW, Gigabit, Vista Home Basic, 2GB Kingston RAM.

She didn't like Vista, wanted Windows XP Home Edition on it. I am somewhat computer literate but on occasion just enough to be dangerous and self destructive. After removing Vista and loading Windows XP Home Edition, I find that various drivers are missing.

Within the Device Manager of Windows XP, I have a series of devices listed under "Other Devices" with the dreaded yellow question mark at the beginning of each one. I've went to the extent of uninstalling each one, eliminating the "Other Devices" catagory..... obviously the catagory and all devices return upon the next boot sequence and I've went thru the search setup that goes with their return, but to no avail.

Whether I'm looking for Vista or XP drivers is something I'm not sure of but I've searched thru my XP install CD and nothing turned up.

The devices are listed in the sequence as follows:

Ethernet Controller
    PCI Device
    Universal Serial Bus Controller
    Unknown Device
    Unknown Device
    Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

I would appreciate it greatly if someone would either upload (click name for email addy) those drivers to me or steer me in the proper direction where I might locate them. Thank you.
    « Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 06:22:17 PM by OMC_Joe »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Vista Drivers Missing
    « Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 10:39:06 AM »
    Travel to the Lenovo website and under the Support section enter your model # and DLoad and install the XP drivers for that machine...

MBoard chipset drivers go FIRST.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

OMC_Joe

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Vista Drivers Missing
      « Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 10:55:29 PM »
      Patio..... I've been to that page previously but it was somewhat confusing and doesn't appear to have everything I need. However as you suggested, I went back there and downloaded an assortment of Vista and XP driver applications. Hopefully I can extract them into one directory and source them from there.

The drivers I found pertained to Video, Audio, and Ethernet. From what I gather the USB controller driver has something to do with Service Pack #1 but if that pertains to Vista, I think I'd stay away from it as I'm running XP.

Easier to build from scratch than to try to convert these machines.