Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Why can't I install xp?????  (Read 4906 times)

sybritt

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Why can't I install xp?????
    « on: March 23, 2009, 03:48:42 PM »
    ok i've been having lots of problems with my computer for a while and had to reinstall xp a few times which worked ok until I got a virus and had to do it again. The problem is there seems to be no working hard drive on my computer anymore! I bought a brand new one and am unsure of how to install it into my computer and have everything workin g correctly. Can someone help please?
    « Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 10:36:41 AM by sybritt »

xavier

Re: my hard drive has been deleted off my computer!
    « Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 05:45:40 PM »
    The new drive, is it a sata or a ide drive?

xavier

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 09:18:26 PM »
    Remove the old drive & before connecting it to the ide ribbon set the jumper to master.After installing boot the pc. Check to see if the drive is recognised?Install your windows from your disc & format.

GlitchPC

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 09:22:11 PM »
    Would be nice if we knew what brand/model hard drive you purchased.  We could then direct you to the manufacturer's website for installation information/software...though I'm pretty sure your new hard drive should have came with installation instructions.

sybritt

Topic Starter

Rookie
      harddrive working, new issue cannot install xp
      « Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 08:38:05 AM »
      ok so thanks to all who replied to my last post and yes I had the wrong harddrive it was an ids instead of a sata. So I went into the BIOS and the new harddrive is recognized so I tried installing xp. The screen says to push any key to start cd, it seems to be working but as soon as setup is done inspecting the screen goe black and will not do anything else! If I do not push any key in the beginning disk read error push alt ctrl delete to restart comes up. there is nothing wrong with the disk and I'm pretty sure everything is hooked up right so I'm stumped anysuggestions please!?

sybritt

Topic Starter

Rookie
        Re: Why can't I install xp?????
        « Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 10:39:06 AM »
        the first time I put the disk in it started working but eventually stopped and now it stops almost right away. >:(

GlitchPC

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 12:26:59 PM »
        Do you have any additional hard drives in this computer?  Are they SATA, or IDE?

Go back into BIOS and tell us what you have the boot order set to, please...

Keep us posted...

Willalmen

Starter

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 12:42:59 PM »
          Answer the question is it sata or IDE drive. Sata will not be seen by Windows XP install disk unless you give it the drive drivers when booting up.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 12:45:34 PM »
          Answer the question is it sata or IDE drive. Sata will not be seen by Windows XP install disk unless you give it the drive drivers when booting up.

That question has been answered.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

sybritt

Topic Starter

Rookie
            « Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 05:04:16 PM »
            Thank you, yes that question was answered I only have the one hard drive in my computer and it is a SATA! The original one in my computer was a sata, the first new one I bought was an IDS but I replaced it with a sata when I realized thats what I needed. I have everything disabled in BIOS except for the cd drive, thats how I done it every other time I re-installed windows. My new harddrive did not come with directions or a disk or anything. It is a HITACHI Deskstar 250GB.

CincyFan

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 05:12:00 PM »
              How do we even know if the old hd is bad? Why not put the old hd back in the box strip it including the boot strap (which would kill any virus on it) stick it back in the machine and run XP hardware compatibility issue is now dead.

CincyFan

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 05:13:23 PM »
                Oh and did I mention you get to save the $$ you spent on the new HD?

sybritt

Topic Starter

Rookie
                  « Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 05:27:38 PM »
                  Ah I brought it to a technician just in case and when he plugged it into his computer he yelled unplug it, it's dead doesn't work at all anymore. Besides the new hd is bigger!

CincyFan

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 05:32:17 PM »
                    Is the old HD setup as the master or the slave.. Look at the jumpers in the end of the HD to verify. If the old HD is set up as Master set the jumpers on the new HD the same. BIOS doesn't normally have an issue with a new HD. Set your boot sequence to your CD ROM, do the windows install and go back and set the boot sequence back to your new IDE?

sybritt

Topic Starter

Rookie
                      « Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 05:43:36 PM »
                      whoa i'm a little unsure of what you're saying all I know is I have the red sata cord and the red black and yellow wired power cord plugged into the back of the hd. Could you explain a little more what you mean please.

CincyFan

Rookie

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 05:58:18 PM »
                        On the back of your old HD where the power and such are plugged into.. Look for a small plastic piece. It fits over two small wires to make a connection. Just above that area you will find something like SL/MA and I can't remember right off the top of my head the third is.. What are the letters above the litte black plastic piece? If anyone can explain this any better feel free..

patio

• Genius
                        • Maud' Dib
                          • Yes
                        • Experience: Beginner
                        « Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 06:13:38 PM »
                        Is the old HD setup as the master or the slave.. Look at the jumpers in the end of the HD to verify. If the old HD is set up as Master set the jumpers on the new HD the same. BIOS doesn't normally have an issue with a new HD. Set your boot sequence to your CD ROM, do the windows install and go back and set the boot sequence back to your new IDE?

SATA drives don't use jumpers...
                        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

sybritt

Topic Starter

Rookie
                          « Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 06:14:56 PM »
                          ok I think I know what you are talking about I remember seeing something like that but when I saw it there was nothing plugged into it and now this new hd does not have anything like that only the 2 plug ins that I have already mentioned and a wider one that looks like the sata plug in spot!(I think its for a legacy cord) no spot for jumpers. and im sure!

sybritt

Topic Starter

Rookie
                            « Reply #18 on: March 26, 2009, 06:16:37 PM »
                            ok so I guess thats why I don't see that!

sybritt

Topic Starter

Rookie
                              « Reply #19 on: March 26, 2009, 06:20:25 PM »
                              could it be that theres just a problem with my cd drive or something else? because like I said in the BIOS it is reading in whatever port (A or 1) a hard drive exists and it didn't read it efore I got this new one

sybritt

Topic Starter

Rookie
                                « Reply #20 on: March 27, 2009, 10:17:15 AM »
                                are hard drives supposed to come with installation disks? Could my SATA cord be dead?any other ideas please?

GlitchPC

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2009, 11:03:42 AM »
                                If your BIOS recognizes the drive...when you're going through the Windows setup process, you'll have to press F6 in order to install the drivers for your SATA device(s).

Did you notice this during installation?  You may not have...since it goes by quickly.

sybritt

Topic Starter

Rookie
                                  « Reply #22 on: March 27, 2009, 03:38:21 PM »
                                  ohhhh...thanks,  no I didn't notice that and that will be great to know but it still brings me back to the fact that the disk only runs for a minute before it just stops( after it says setup is inspecting....) thats my biggest issue again

GlitchPC

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2009, 03:44:56 PM »
                                  Make sure you're installing from a legitimate Windows CD and follow the instructions here
                                  « Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 05:47:22 PM by GlitchPC »

sybritt

Topic Starter

Rookie
                                    « Reply #24 on: March 27, 2009, 05:45:36 PM »
                                    Well cool but this is the first time I have heard about the floppy disk and I do not have one. My computer shut down and I couldn't get anything on any disks I lost everything. Any idea how I could go about getting a floppy disk with what I need on it?