Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hi, I am experiencing critical problems with my HP, Vista laptop  (Read 6538 times)

roneal

Topic Starter

Starter

This is the first computer help forum I found, so I'm hoping ya'll could help me.

So basically I have a:

HP Pavilion dv6000
    OS: Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1 (no Cd's, pre-installed)
    Processor: AMD Athalon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-53, 1700 Mhz
    BIOS Version: Hewlett-Packard F.3 E, 12/27/2007
    RAM: 1 GB
    HD: 40 GB

I'm not sure what other information I need

Basically, I've had a couple problems with this laptop (mostly screen-related) and I had it sent back to Hp to get fixed. Since I got it back it was working fine, and one day I decided to open the back to remove any dust/ wipe it down/etc. I didn't remove any vital parts, I only took off the back cover and dusted what I could, everything remained in tact.

So after a while it started randomly freezing, then it evolved into random resets, then random shut downs. Now the problem is every time I use it it would freeze then give me a blue screen, with the ""Windows has encountered and error and needs to shut down..." message. The only thing I could recognize from all the times I got this is:

DRIVER_IRQ_LESS_OR_EQUAL (something along those lines). It also states this might be a problem with newly installed hardware (I didn't install any), or something about me enabling BIOS caching or shadowing (not sure what that is).

I get this screen EVERY time I start my PC, sometimes right when I boot, sometimes after 10 minutes, other times after an hour or so.

The only thing I remember doing is changing the boot order once from CD/DVD Drive to Notebook Hard Drive and back. (Not sure what this does).

If I need to provide more information about my pc/this problem then let me know what I should relay, and I'd greatly appreciate if anyone can help with this?

P.S It's VERY ANNOYING being in lectures in university and having your laptop randomly do this every class  :||

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Hi, I am experiencing critical problems with my HP, Vista laptop
    « Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 11:05:59 PM »
    Have you tried loading the BIOS default settings?

How did you clean the dust out?
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 11:06:08 PM »
    one day I decided to open the back to remove any dust/ wipe it down/etc.
    Using what?

Navigate to: C:\Windows\Minidump folder.
    If you see any .dmp files, zip all of them, and attach zipped file to your next reply.

GlitchPC

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 11:19:34 PM »
    So much for your warranty...

roneal

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 10:46:49 AM »
      I only unscrewed the back cover and air vaccumed any dust/small particles that I could. Didn't open any vital compartments or break any of the seals/stickers; so I'm pretty sure my warranty would still be intact (even though it has expired anyway)

And the one .dmp file I found is attached

[attachment deleted by admin]

GlitchPC

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 10:54:07 AM »
      You should never use any form of vacuum cleaner on your computer...you should only used canned air to blow out any dust and debris.  Using a vacumm cleaner with a bristle brush...and there's a high possibility of ESD (Electrostatic Discharge).

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 10:57:33 AM »
        It just be easier to send it back to them and pay for the charge.
        Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

musksnipe

Rookie

• No Sound=No Fun
          « Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 12:57:57 PM »
          Your mini.dmp shows that the error was probably caused by Win32k.sys.
          This is something that I don't have a lot of experience in but after looking around at other problems of the same type, there seems to be 3 main causes.
          1) bad RAM
          2) a video card overheating
          3) XP SP1

You can run MemTest to check for bad RAM: http://www.memtest86.com/
          Check to see if your CPU or Vid card is overheating: http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php
          I would update your XP to at least SP2 (personally I would fully update to SP3).

One other thing you could try is starting from the Last Known Good Configuration.
          (BIOS caching or shadowing will give you a small perfomance boost) and shouldn't have anything to do with your problem.
          The one unchangeable certainty is that nothing is certain or unchangeable.

JJ 3000

Egghead
          • Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 01:31:36 PM »
          Have you tried loading the BIOS default settings?

Save a Life!
          Adopt a homeless pet.
          http://www.petfinder.com/

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 02:56:42 PM »
          Actually, the dump file lists KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR, and the cause of it is indicated as hardware problem, so, I assume...
          You should never use any form of vacuum cleaner on your computer...you should only used canned air to blow out any dust and debris.  Using a vacumm cleaner with a bristle brush...and there's a high possibility of ESD (Electrostatic Discharge).
          ...you fried something.

musksnipe

Rookie

• No Sound=No Fun
            « Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 05:32:11 PM »
            Actually, the dump file lists KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR, and the cause of it is indicated as hardware problem, so, I assume......you fried something.
            This is the full text of your mini-dump after de-bugging.
            I still think running memtest is a good idea.
            If memtest doesn't show a problem you know your RAM is good.
            You might also want to run CHKDSK to see if the problem lies there.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            « Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 05:50:38 PM »
            Running memtest may be a good idea, since one of the possible fried items could be RAM.

However, I'm not sure, how you read poster's dump file, because I see this:

1: kd> !analyze -v
            *******************************************************************************
            *                                                                             *
            *                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR (7a)
            The requested page of kernel data could not be read in.  Typically caused by
            a bad block in the paging file or disk controller error. Also see
            KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR.
            If the error status is 0xC000000E, 0xC000009C, 0xC000009D or 0xC0000185,
            it means the disk subsystem has experienced a failure.
            If the error status is 0xC000009A, then it means the request failed because
            a filesystem failed to make forward progress.
            Arguments:
            Arg1: c07fa0d8, lock type that was held (value 1,2,3, or PTE address)
            Arg2: c0000010, error status (normally i/o status code)
            Arg3: 351a08c0, current process (virtual address for lock type 3, or PTE)
            Arg4: ff41b754, virtual address that could not be in-paged (or PTE contents if arg1 is a PTE address)

Debugging Details:
            ------------------

ERROR_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000010 - The specified request is not a valid operation for the target device.

BUGCHECK_STR:  0x7a_c0000010

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT:  1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT

PROCESS_NAME:  csrss.exe

CURRENT_IRQL:  0

TRAP_FRAME:  8bf6c9f4 -- (.trap 0xffffffff8bf6c9f4)
            ErrCode = 00000000
            eax=ff41b748 ebx=ffada150 ecx=00000000 edx=00000000 esi=ff685270 edi=ff55ec08
            eip=9235ca73 esp=8bf6ca68 ebp=8bf6ca84 iopl=0         nv up ei pl zr na pe nc
            cs=0008  ss=0010  ds=0023  es=0023  fs=0030  gs=0000             efl=00010246
            win32k!_PostMessage+0xc0:
            9235ca73 ff83f808773f    inc     dword ptr [ebx+3F7708F8h] ds:0023:3f24aa48=????????
            Resetting default scope

MISALIGNED_IP:
            win32k!_PostMessage+c0
            9235ca73 ff83f808773f    inc     dword ptr [ebx+3F7708F8h]

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER:  from 81a8dd1e to 81a929dc

STACK_TEXT: 
            8bf6c8ac 81a8dd1e 836003d0 8bf6c908 8ad21d70 nt!MiWaitForInPageComplete+0x24d
            8bf6c960 81aaf093 ff41b754 00000000 00000000 nt!MiDispatchFault+0xd85
            8bf6c9dc 81a63b54 00000000 ff41b754 00000000 nt!MmAccessFault+0x10ac
            8bf6c9dc 9235ca73 00000000 ff41b754 00000000 nt!KiTrap0E+0xdc
            8bf6ca84 9235cb70 00000000 0000001e 00000000 win32k!_PostMessage+0xc0
            8bf6caa4 922d2797 ff685270 0000001e 00000000 win32k!NtUserPostMessage+0x1c
            8bf6cba4 922d2a97 ff680608 0000001e 00000000 win32k!xxxSendBSMtoDesktop+0x27e
            8bf6cbe8 923da2e5 00000001 0000001e 00000000 win32k!xxxSendMessageBSM+0x3f
            8bf6cd58 81a60a1a 0000001d 00d1f5c0 77279a94 win32k!xxxUserPowerEventCalloutWorker+0x14
            8bf6cd58 77279a94 0000001d 00d1f5c0 77279a94 nt!KiFastCallEntry+0x12a
            WARNING: Frame IP not in any known module. Following frames may be wrong.
            00d1f5c0 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 0x77279a94

STACK_COMMAND:  kb

FOLLOWUP_IP:
            win32k!_PostMessage+c0
            9235ca73 ff83f808773f    inc     dword ptr [ebx+3F7708F8h]

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX:  4

SYMBOL_NAME:  win32k!_PostMessage+c0

FOLLOWUP_NAME:  MachineOwner

IMAGE_NAME:  hardware

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP:  0

MODULE_NAME: hardware

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  IP_MISALIGNED

BUCKET_ID:  IP_MISALIGNED

musksnipe

Rookie

• No Sound=No Fun
              « Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 06:09:18 PM »
              Quote from: Broni
              However, I'm not sure, how you read poster's dump file, because I see this:

I did say that this is a slightly unfamiliar area for me, but the full report also shows this:
              *                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 7A, {c07fa0d8, c0000010, 351a08c0, ff41b754}

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\win32k.sys, Win32 error 0n2
              *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for win32k.sys
              *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for win32k.sys
              Probably caused by : win32k.sys ( win32k+cca73 )

Followup: MachineOwner

That's why I attached the full debugged report.
              If the RAM isn't fried, and if it is hardware problem, more than likely it would be the disk, as Windows is succeeding to load up to this point. CHKDSK should give some indication of HDD failure.

Broni

Mastermind
                • Computer Help Forum
              « Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 06:20:00 PM »
              I was just curious how you read dump file, because your text file, and what I can see in the same dump file, are almost identical, except for the last part.
              Yours shows:
              IMAGE_NAME:  win32k.sys

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  0x7a_c0000010_win32k+cca73

BUCKET_ID:  0x7a_c0000010_win32k+cca73

while mine:

IMAGE_NAME:  hardware

MODULE_NAME: hardware

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  IP_MISALIGNED

BUCKET_ID:  IP_MISALIGNED

BTW, this:
              ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for win32k.sys
              has nothing to do with the actual error.
              This is only a message from Windows Debugging Tool, letting you know, that for whatever reason, it was unable to load symbols for win32k.sys; symbols, which should be located on your computer; it has nothing to do with the computer in question.
              I hope, this is clear enough :)

musksnipe

Rookie

• No Sound=No Fun
                « Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 07:53:34 PM »
                @ Broni
                Thanks for giving me a little more knowledge, but how is that helping the OP?  ;)

@ roneal
                IP_Misaligned (Instruction Misaligned) is usually caused by faulty memory.
                Run memtest to be sure.
                ALSO,
                If you have more than one stick of RAM, you can pull one and reboot to see if your PC will run properly. If you still get the BSOD, change sticks and try again. That will tell which stick is faulty, if one is.

Make sure to power off and unplug you PC and to ground yourself (touch a metal part of the case) before removing the RAM