Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Beginer in IT..need some advices  (Read 5486 times)

hetero110

Topic Starter

Rookie

Beginer in IT..need some advices
    « on: March 24, 2009, 01:42:23 AM »
    Hi..
    Actually i am a newbie in IT and i am now taking courses which related to IT.
    But now i am totally lost my way, for a newbie, what should i learn in the first way and what is next??
    Hope if any IT pros or any person can give me some advice and if probably share your experience. Thanks

P/s: i posted at a right place or not??
    « Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 01:54:30 AM by hetero110 »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Beginer in IT..need some advices
    « Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 02:29:45 AM »
    Hood a place as any. What have you studied? What are you good at? Do you do better with people or problems?
    (Some people are problems, but that's another topic.) 
    What do you think about the future of IT?
    Do you like math and pure science?

If somebody offered one of three classic videos,
    would you orefer:
    1. Peter Sellers
    2. Philippe Kahn
    3. Jane Foanda
     ;)

hetero110

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 04:03:18 AM »
      Hi Geek-9m  :)

Currently i am taking foundation in IT. Few more months later i am going to choose my major subject. All around the year i am study some basic of maths, physics. Although i got learn visual basic, but i am still not master it.

Honestly, i am weak when dealing with people, but with problems, sometime i still can handle.
      I like maths but pure science still ok with me..haha

If somebody offered one of three classic videos as mentioned, i will prefer Philippe Kahn. hehe :) :)

reddevilggg

Expert

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 06:15:23 AM »

Philippe Kahn??? and not Jane Fonda in Barberella!  YOWSER
      11 cheers for binary !

hetero110

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 06:45:09 AM »
        not really understand. By the way, i need some advices desperately. :o :o

mroilfield

Mentor
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 08:28:18 AM »
        i am now taking courses which related to IT.
        But now i am totally lost my way, for a newbie, what should i learn in the first way and what is next??

What kind of courses are you taking? Have you spoke to your instructor about this?
        You can't fix Stupid!!!

hetero110

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Beginner in IT..need some advices
          « Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 09:25:40 AM »
          What kind of courses are you taking? Have you spoke to your instructor about this?

Actually i taking one-year program in IT, still left 3 months to finish it and then need to choose my major subject in degree. Wanna to choose Networking and data communication or Security Technology.
          About my instructor, i already asked, still blur. Hehe

Anyway can i know how you learn when u still a beginner? If self learning, how?

mroilfield

Mentor
            • Yes
            • Yes
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 10:32:19 AM »
          This site has actually taught me a lot. Other then that if self learning get all the books you can and read them and them just practice.
          You can't fix Stupid!!!

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 10:46:42 AM »
            Any A+ book will help you along.
            Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 11:54:28 AM »
            If somebody offered one of three classic videos as mentioned,
            i will prefer Philippe Kahn. hehe Smiley Smiley

Your honest answer speaks a lot about you You will do well in any area of Information Technology you want.

You are going to have some issues with any job that requires you
            to manage other people. This will hinder your andvancement. You should consider spending some of your study time on non-technology material. Like music, drama, child development, politics, religion,and so on.

hetero110

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 04:59:35 AM »
              Any A+ book will help you along.

Any good A+ book can intro?? Thanks

hetero110

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 05:04:35 AM »
                Your honest answer speaks a lot about you You will do well in any area of Information Technology you want.

You are going to have some issues with any job that requires you
                to manage other people. This will hinder your andvancement. You should consider spending some of your study time on non-technology material. Like music, drama, child development, politics, religion,and so on.

Okay~ thanks for your advices. I will try my best  ;D ;D

hetero110

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 05:14:34 AM »
                  This site has actually taught me a lot. Other then that if self learning get all the books you can and read them and them just practice.

Ya. This site is really awesome!
                  Self learning by getting all the books sounds good but the books which related to IT  usually expensive. I know online learning is also one of the ways but what can i do except viewing the forum?? Thanks

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                  • Geek After Dark
                    • Gekk9pm bnlog
                  « Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 10:16:29 AM »
                  know online learning is also one of the ways but what can i do except viewing the forum?? Thanks
                  On this forum one can met lots of people that vary from dull to bright. This will give you a taste of the variety of what kind of people get into Computer stuff.

:P   ::)  :-[

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 11:15:15 AM »
                    Thats very true, I just thought of something.  I was looking for some good video's to use to base mine off of when I got the chance to do them and get ready for admin.  The only thing is that I need tape for the camcoder and think I blanked out something important by mistake so till I find the other one and such.  Youtube computer hardware or something of that nature. 
                    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
                      • Yes
                      • Technology News and Information
                    • Experience: Guru
                    « Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 11:47:33 PM »
                    About learning to communicate with people:
                    If you are going for a degree in your study, you probably require a Business Communications class.
                    You get kicked out if your interverted shell for an hour a day and stand up to make presentations. Actually, I havent gone through college yet, but, this is the class I least look forward to, I am horribly interverted.

Things that will help you communicate;
                    1. Metaphors! Lots and lots of them. Forget your concrete way of thinking! The glass is now half-empty, and a triangle has the same amount of sides as a square.
                    Find ways to describe, in a way anyone can, how computer components work.
                    o
                    2. If you want people to be happy with what you do, make them understand the problem. If the problem was simple, show them how to fix it. Dont just show up and do your magic, take time and show them whats being done.

3. Spend time just sitting and thinking about what basic components of Windows and the computer itself do.
                    The RAM is like a counter top. The recipe book is like a program. You're making a cake, and you need a place to put the flour, sugar, vanilla extract, baking soda, coco powder, mixing bowl and measuring devices. When you run out of countertop space, you have to try and make room even if you cant, which prevents you from working effectively, what do you have to do? (Oh, and the contents being mixed together and the oven are the CPU...)

4. Never blame yourself for problems, and always blame the WINS Server when a command that you intended to go to one computer, goes to another, and the user sees the message:
                    "Your computer has been chosen to participate in an administrative task. You have 10 seconds to log off." (This one has happened to me before.. and, by the way, the user only reads: "Your computer has been chosen" because by the time they realize whats going on, the message has displeasure and their work lost. )

About IT:
                    Determine what you actually want to do.
                    Phone support people, chat support people, (us lame forum support people,) live support persons, system administrators, network administrators, network business administration managers... they all specialize in something different, and therefor receive different training. Do you want to just fix computers? Or do you want to do networking (hard wiring everything)? Setting up routers? Managing servers? Managing people who manage everything else (this pays really well)? All of the above?
                    Figure out just what you have a passion for (I want to do it all...). consider job shadowing as well.

reddevilggg

Expert

• Experience: Beginner
                    « Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 01:57:59 AM »

Maybe getting hold of a old or cheap computer and getting inside it. Maybe try to upgrade. Strip it down and put it back together and make sure it works. Nothing better than getting your hands dirty.
                    11 cheers for binary !

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 09:12:09 AM »
                      Maybe getting hold of a old or cheap computer and getting inside it. Maybe try to upgrade. Strip it down and put it back together and make sure it works. Nothing better than getting your hands dirty.

thats a good thing to do, prevents esd to a machine that you may want to keep.

hetero110

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2009, 09:25:44 PM »
                        Oh ya..can anyone tell me what is security technology is all about??

hetero110

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2009, 09:27:06 PM »
                          About learning to communicate with people:
                          If you are going for a degree in your study, you probably require a Business Communications class.
                          You get kicked out if your interverted shell for an hour a day and stand up to make presentations. Actually, I havent gone through college yet, but, this is the class I least look forward to, I am horribly interverted.

Things that will help you communicate;
                          1. Metaphors! Lots and lots of them. Forget your concrete way of thinking! The glass is now half-empty, and a triangle has the same amount of sides as a square.
                          Find ways to describe, in a way anyone can, how computer components work.
                          o
                          2. If you want people to be happy with what you do, make them understand the problem. If the problem was simple, show them how to fix it. Dont just show up and do your magic, take time and show them whats being done.

3. Spend time just sitting and thinking about what basic components of Windows and the computer itself do.
                          The RAM is like a counter top. The recipe book is like a program. You're making a cake, and you need a place to put the flour, sugar, vanilla extract, baking soda, coco powder, mixing bowl and measuring devices. When you run out of countertop space, you have to try and make room even if you cant, which prevents you from working effectively, what do you have to do? (Oh, and the contents being mixed together and the oven are the CPU...)

4. Never blame yourself for problems, and always blame the WINS Server when a command that you intended to go to one computer, goes to another, and the user sees the message:
                          "Your computer has been chosen to participate in an administrative task. You have 10 seconds to log off." (This one has happened to me before.. and, by the way, the user only reads: "Your computer has been chosen" because by the time they realize whats going on, the message has displeasure and their work lost. )

About IT:
                          Determine what you actually want to do.
                          Phone support people, chat support people, (us lame forum support people,) live support persons, system administrators, network administrators, network business administration managers... they all specialize in something different, and therefor receive different training. Do you want to just fix computers? Or do you want to do networking (hard wiring everything)? Setting up routers? Managing servers? Managing people who manage everything else (this pays really well)? All of the above?
                          Figure out just what you have a passion for (I want to do it all...). consider job shadowing as well.

Thanks for your reply, you help me a lots.
                          Very true, but to make a presentation is a most scary part for me.
                          By the way, i still not understand the metaphors matter that you explain. Can you explain more deeply? Sorry for my stupidity. Haha

hetero110

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2009, 09:32:48 PM »

That's right, but firstly, how to find a old computer? Buy it?

hetero110

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2009, 09:34:16 PM »
                              thats a good thing to do, prevents esd to a machine that you may want to keep.

What is "esd" means? Is it a short form of some words??

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
                                • Yes
                                • Technology News and Information
                              • Experience: Guru
                              « Reply #22 on: March 28, 2009, 02:01:25 AM »
                              What is "esd" means? Is it a short form of some words??

ESD, Electro-Static Discharge:
                              http://www.computerhope.com/esd.htm

"Hetero110"... interesting username...

hetero110

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2009, 09:29:13 AM »
                                ESD, Electro-Static Discharge:
                                http://www.computerhope.com/esd.htm

"Hetero110"... interesting username...

Oh.i see i see.. Thank you
                                huh..whats wrong with my username? funny?

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2009, 12:34:15 PM »
                                  you would spend up paing alot I have stuff that is like 20 years +.  Its not like something you can get anymore, so what you can do is ask people like radio stations or something.  I got some that way but my father works for some.  But what ever you get is better then nothing.  In such security is like your antivirus and male ware scanners its a line of defense of what you find suited too your needs against people who want to use your info for like identify theft, another reason to stay away from torrents cause it opens your port an allows for back hacking.