Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Changing screen size from one computer to another  (Read 2242 times)

hankman

Changing screen size from one computer to another
« on: March 25, 2009, 01:24:26 PM »
I'm very new to HTML coding. I taught myself how to do things and have had some excellent results. However, when I use someone else's computer, things are too large to fit on their screen. For example, I programmed things on my screen, which is 22" wide and the other computer screen is only 17" wide. Is there any way I could check on the physical size of a screen when I put a cd or memory chip in and adjust things at that time. I hope I explained things right.

Tks,

Pat Henry

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Changing screen size from one computer to another
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 10:13:21 AM »
Is there any way I could check on the physical size of a screen when I put a cd or memory chip in and adjust things at that time.
That statement really doesn't make sense.  You mentioned HTML, so you're creating web pages, right?  Although you have a 22" monitor, most computer users have a smaller monitor.  And, obviously, you should take that fact into account when designing your web pages.  For example, as a base standard for your web pages, you might create you pages to display on a 17 inch monitor set at 1024 x 768 resolution without horizontal scrolling.  In other words, make your pages a fixed width of not more than 1024 pixels.  And, many web designers use a smaller width, perhaps 800 pixels, which would display on a resolution of 800 x 600 without horizontal scrolling.

If you don't know how to create fixed width page when coding HTML, then you still have some more learning to do.