Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer zapped in storm-I think  (Read 2808 times)

zanstar

computer zapped in storm-I think
« on: March 27, 2009, 10:00:07 AM »
storm  hit last night, transformer on pole near house blew, and our electric went out  now only BIOS/CMOS screen shows up, and cannot get out of it.  Can it be fixed, or am I fried?

sybritt

Rookie
    Re: computer zapped in storm-I think
    « Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 10:22:49 AM »
    A technician once told me that he had someone come in his shop after a storm and their computer got fried. He said he was able to fix it for them but it cost them close to $400.

xavier

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 12:18:27 PM »
    Swap out the power supply to make a test if it doesnt work its the board.After you get it up & running unvest in a good surge protector.

GlitchPC

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 12:23:46 PM »
    Swap out the power supply to make a test if it doesnt work its the board.After you get it up & running unvest in a good surge protector.

A surge protector will only protect your electronic equipment from NORMAL electrical spikes.  In this case...you had a massive power surge and an electrical storm.  Surge protectors don't offer much protection from lightning strikes or massive electrical surges.

Your best bet is to unplug your electronic equipment during a storm (not only power cables, but any cables)...since lightning will find the path of least resistance to your computer...and can travel through phone/cable lines and even over your network cables.

So...to make a long story short...sure...get a surge protector...or UPS, but unplug your equipment for guaranteed protection during a thunderstorm.

xavier

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 12:49:43 PM »
    Having a surge protector is better than not having one.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 01:19:20 PM »
    he never said it wasn't- he was merely adding that it added zero protection during a thunderstorm over not having one.

during a thunderstorm/electrical storm, having a UPS and saying it's protection from the storm is like holding a pillow in front of you when you get hit by a bus. Not particularly effective, and sure to ruffle some feathers- are you down with that?  ;D
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

xavier

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 02:22:44 PM »
    Dah