Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New p4 2.8 gig proc, 2 gig ram, SLOWER than old AMD machine please Help..  (Read 3266 times)

frank1e

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Title starts with the problem. The FSB on this new comp is 800 mhz. 2 gigs of ddr2 ram.  Processor is 2.8 gigahertz and hyp[erthreaded. Im using the SAME nvidia 5200 card on this comp that I was using on my AMD. I thought this was going to be a huge upgrade for me. I know I need a new vid card but thats besides the point.
        I cant remember exactly the specs oin my amd just that it had 1.3 gigs of ram. It was around a 2 giogahertz processor.  It was freaking able to run 2 copies of world of warcraft at once. even 3 I believe.  I never thought it was a very fats computer but I though tthis one being a p4 with hyper threading and 2 gigsa of ram anbd what not was going to be much faster. why is it so slow??

It cant run any game. Same problem with eveyr game. Eve Online, WOW, Warhammer, Guild Wars they all do the same *censored* thing. They load up but like keep pausing for a couple seconds every 2-3 seconds until they are unplayable. I have tried all different graphix setting combos and have tweaked this computer. no spyare/viruses.

So my quesiton is what the *censored* is the deal? Why was a $80 old AMD machine I didnt think was worth a *censored* able to run so many programs even PVP lake wintergrasp / arena in wow / raid yet this new comp which should be faster cant even load it up? And same vid card just more ram / should be faster processor.

Please any help appreciated I spent $180 on this which for me is a lot and I thought I was temporarily solving my problems. Now im ou the money and Ill have to spend at leatsa another $250 to build something top run warhammer and I dont have that kinda money so Id rlly like to learn what makes this one run so much slower than an older system that I used to have anyone with good computer knowledge please help me thank you.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Not 'nuf info. Why do you say it is slow? On a game? On the internet? Slow to boot? Do you have a standard speed test?
    With a new MoBo you HAVE to have the right drivers for everything to get any performance at all. For example, wrong drivers for the chip set slows down the hard drive I/O  a bunch.
    Or you could have a bad MoBo right out of the box.

frank1e

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Not 'nuf info. Why do you say it is slow? On a game? On the internet? Slow to boot? Do you have a standard speed test?
      With a new MoBo you HAVE to have the right drivers for everything to get any performance at all. For example, wrong drivers for the chip set slows down the hard drive I/O  a bunch.
      Or you could have a bad MoBo right out of the box.

It runs firefox / ordinary windows functions just fine.  No offense but I think you may hav emissed part of my thread?  On my old computer it was capable of running two instances of world of warcraft so I couold duel box. And it wasn't even a greta computer. Now this is a completely new computer,. I never said anything about a new MoBo.  Whole new system just same vid card. This systems specs are higher than my last system yet it can't even run a single instance of world of warcraft which has always had very low system requirements.  Anytime I run some kind of game the computer gets really choppy and starts pausing every second. Never get past the third or fourth screens before I have to alt-tab and close the program out. I have tried changing all my graphic settings and the computer is spyware free/vireuys free and setup pretty decent. 

Dont understand why this newer computer is not capable of running WOW when an old AMD 2 gigahertz I bought for $60 was able to duel box wow. And it only had 1.3 giogs of ram for a while I ran it with only 512 MB of ram and it was fast enough to raid.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Experience: Expert
      I know I need a new vid card but thats besides the point.
      With games it is everything! If there is anything wrong with the video card you will never get speed.
      Is the new machine an off the shelf Box from a Box store? On is this a home built machine. And what Operating system?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      Did you reinstall Windows when you changed the system?
      Did you install all the correct drivers and updates?
      A P4 at 2.8GHz is almost certainly slower than an AMD at 2Ghz anyway, but the performance drop shouldn't be this big.

frank1e

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

With games it is everything! If there is anything wrong with the video card you will never get speed.
        Is the new machine an off the shelf Box from a Box store? On is this a home built machine. And what Operating system?

I bought it from a guy that owns a small computer shop. I had also bought my AMD from him.  Its got Windows XP Pro with all the latest service packs (3).  It had a clean install of windows so there wasn't all that crap that you get on your comp when you buy a comp from the manufacturers like dell or HP.. 
               I know I really need a new video card.  But I know at this point there is some kind of serious problem because the computer should certainly be able to run World of Warcraft and im thinking it should also be able to run Eve.  I don't know if it could be that my FSB is too slow? 800 mhz? But Ive read other people running games on comps with 800 mhz fsb.. Or maybe the memory I think the memory speed is a total of 400 mhz..  My Bus banwidth came out to like 6.59 GB / Sec or something like that in one of my diagnostic programs,

I want to buy a new vid card but I'll be damned if this computer has an AGP slot and not a PCIe.  If I go out and spend  abunch of money on an outdated AGP vidcard I am relly hoping that it wil really be able to play the games otherwise I will have wasted my money,

frank1e

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Did you reinstall Windows when you changed the system?
          Did you install all the correct drivers and updates?
          A P4 at 2.8GHz is almost certainly slower than an AMD at 2Ghz anyway, but the performance drop shouldn't be this big.

All the new drivers everything.  I thought I had a pretty decent knowledge of computers up until the last one broke down. Truth is I haven't kept myelf very much up to date with the new technologies and chips and what not..  I've been doing a lot of reading and learned a lot but from what i've read i should def. be able to play warcraft and this machine can't do that.  I don't know what the problem could be unless my video cad is just getting tired?  It seems to be running fine though.

frank1e

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Anyone still here?  Still needing help to understand what could be wrong =(

4fingerlid

Rookie

If your puter is running a P4 2.8 H/T with a 800 FSB your MB is a socket 775 which supports PCIexpress16x1. I googled your video card & it supposedly supports AGP & PCIEx16. Have you switched over from onboard video to add on video card in your BIOS? Tried reseating your card & if your card has a PS connection is it connected? Have you downloaded current drivers for your card?

frank1e

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

If your puter is running a P4 2.8 H/T with a 800 FSB your MB is a socket 775 which supports PCIexpress16x1. I googled your video card & it supposedly supports AGP & PCIEx16. Have you switched over from onboard video to add on video card in your BIOS? Tried reseating your card & if your card has a PS connection is it connected? Have you downloaded current drivers for your card?

Looking at the motherboard and doing a diagnostic shows it only has an AGP slot unfortfunantly.  My videocard is an nvidia 5200 PCI.  I can't sit that in an AGP slot can I?  Its in a PCI slot right now.  The BIOS settings should all be correct it automatically goes for the AGP and if no AGP then it goes to the PCI slot and I keep the ATI graphics card(the noboard crappy one) disabled.  Not sure about the Power Supply connection I would definantly have to check that out.  What would happen if it was not hooked up? There is one odd thing I have noticed.
                     The fan on the videocard has not been spinning I don't thionk and it may have started recently. Also When I run RivaTuner and use its hardwqare monitoring it says my core clock GPU is running at 100 mhz when it should be running at 250 mhz, but when I run another nvidia diagnostic program it says the clock is rnning at 250 so I really don't know which one is correct. If it is only running at 100 that would be my problem

See the thing is I used to run WOW on a computer that had less ram, same vid card, and a lesser than CPU. I thought this computer would run it no prob but it can't. Anytime I run a game like WOW it just keeps pausing / freezing evey 3-4 seconds.  One time I screwed around with some forceware hardwrae lvl settings on my vid card and I actually got WOW to run smoothly for a little while but since than it has stopped. I dont understand half of those rlly complicated directx / open GL hard ware level video settings you find in the rivatuner / special nvidea programs so I don't really knowq what to set. I try to optimize it for performance as best as I can.

frank1e

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Looking at the motherboard and doing a diagnostic shows it only has an AGP slot unfortfunantly.  My videocard is an nvidia 5200 PCI.  I can't sit that in an AGP slot can I?  Its in a PCI slot right now.  The BIOS settings should all be correct it automatically goes for the AGP and if no AGP then it goes to the PCI slot and I keep the ATI graphics card(the noboard crappy one) disabled.  Not sure about the Power Supply connection I would definantly have to check that out.  What would happen if it was not hooked up? There is one odd thing I have noticed.
                       The fan on the videocard has not been spinning I don't thionk and it may have started recently. Also When I run RivaTuner and use its hardwqare monitoring it says my core clock GPU is running at 100 mhz when it should be running at 250 mhz, but when I run another nvidia diagnostic program it says the clock is rnning at 250 so I really don't know which one is correct. If it is only running at 100 that would be my problem

See the thing is I used to run WOW on a computer that had less ram, same vid card, and a lesser than CPU. I thought this computer would run it no prob but it can't. Anytime I run a game like WOW it just keeps pausing / freezing evey 3-4 seconds.  One time I screwed around with some forceware hardwrae lvl settings on my vid card and I actually got WOW to run smoothly for a little while but since than it has stopped. I dont understand half of those rlly complicated directx / open GL hard ware level video settings you find in the rivatuner / special nvidea programs so I don't really knowq what to set. I try to optimize it for performance as best as I can.

After checking out my card based on the poster above I found out 1_ thge fan wasnt spinning and even worse that i see a couple of umm transistor / i dont know what u call em bulb type deals with the tops of them are blown up or exploded a little bit. .  guess thats what happened suprised it still runs. also the inside of my computer feels very hot even though its got a fan..  well anymore input on the matter would help.  you guys think from jumping from pci to AGP would be a huge increase in games and video? im pretty eager to see what those faster bus speeds are like
                  « Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 06:46:56 AM by Carbon Dudeoxide »

BigIg

Greenhorn

If you have blown capacitors you'll need a new motherboard.

Dias de verano

frank1e, watch your language please.

And don't bump.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 09:48:28 AM by Dias de verano »