Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sort Function Help Please  (Read 3139 times)

jjjoan

Topic Starter

Sort Function Help Please
    « on: April 24, 2009, 07:11:30 PM »
    SOME TIME AGO A MICROSOFT SUPPORT TEAM MEMBER ADDRESSED SEVERAL PROBLEMS THAT I HAD AND ONE OF THEM HE TOLD ME HOW TO CORRECT.  HOWEVER, IT DID NOT WORK AND I AM WONDERING IF MAYBE SOMEONE NOW HAS A SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM.

I WORK A GREAT DEAL WITH EMBROIDERY PATTERNS AND I AM AWARE THAT THE “SORT” DEFAULT IS   “NAME” DATE  ETC.   I AM SURE MANY PEOPLE ARE HAPPY WITH THAT HOWEVER WITH THE EMBROIDER DESIGNS  I REALLY WOULD LIKE THE DEFAULT TO BE    NAME    DATE       TYPE.    TYPE BEING THE MOST IMPORTANT ONE. I WISH THE SORTING OF MY DESIGNS DEFAULT WOULD ALWAYS BE THAT.  IF I DESIRED SOMETHING ELSE I COULD ALWAYS CHANGE IT ON A TEMPORARY BASIS.  CAN YOU HELP ME DO THAT.   
    I WAS TOLD THE FOLLOWING:
    OPEN FOLDER
    CLICK VIEW TAB
    SELECT TYPE
    ARRANGE SORT LIST
    CLICK ORGANIZE
    SLECT FOLDER AND SEAARCH
    CLICK VIEW
    CLICK APPLY
    CLICK YES
    CLICK OK
    THIS DOES WORK FOR ONE OR TWO TIMES BUT THEN REVERTS TO THE STANDARD DEFAULT. 
    CAN YOU HELP ME PLEASE.  THANK YOU jjjoan 

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Sort Function Help Please
    « Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 09:24:57 PM »
    Welcome to the CH forums.

Please turn OFF your capslock.

1.   Open the folder.
    2.   Click View>Details.
    3.   Right click Type.
    4.   Click More.
    5.   Set your preferences by hightlighting what you want then use the Move Up or Move Down feature to set them in the sequence you want.
    6.   Click OK.

The colums/headers should now be in your desired sequence and should remain like that.
    One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

jjjoan

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 08:54:54 AM »
      Sorry about the Cap Lock.  I didn't even realize that it was on.  I did try what you suggested but sorry to say it also only works the first few times. If I leave the folder and open another program the next time I go into the embroidery folder and try to sort it by type - type is not there it has reverted to the original default list.  Any other suggestions.  Also, thank you for trying I really appreciate it. 

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 03:41:14 PM »
      Well I dunno, I've tested this on Windows 2k, XP Home and XP Pro and cannot get the settings to change even after reboots.  Which Operating System are you using?

I've attached some pics for you to have a look at.

Pic-1 shows the folder open and View clicked on.  Details is bulleted as is Type in Arrange icons by.  Files are shown arranged by Type with Type in Col-1, Name in Col-2 and Date Created in Col-3.

Pic-2 shows the screen after R.Click on any column header.  The drop-down shows which columns will be displayed.  More is at the bottom of the drop-down.

Pic-3 shows the screen after clicking More.  The checked boxes show the sequence of columns L to R.

Pic-4 shows the screen after R.Click on any column header and changing the column sequence to show the Name in the LH column.  Note: files are still sorted by Type.

Can you post some images to show what results you get?

[attachment deleted by admin]
      One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.