Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't get Winows to install  (Read 14130 times)

daddyzaring

Can't get Winows to install
« on: May 05, 2005, 11:04:52 AM »
 I bought a Dell 4550 2.8ghz P4, 256mb RAM, 30gig HD, and added 40gig HD. It came with no OS, or OS recovery CD. I also bought a Dell Windows XP Home System Recovery CD.

The problem I am having, basically it doesn't want to finish installing. It boots from The CD, and starts okay. Goes through the setup for formatting, and setting up files, but as soon as it tries to go into Windows mode, and finish setup, and installing it restarts my computer. That is pretty much all it does it continously restart over and over.

jim_me2

Re: Can't get Winows to install
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 11:30:00 AM »
IMHO, if it's new from Dell and was supposed to have an OS onboard, it is their problem. They should be sending you an XP CD post haste.

Canada 1-800-999-3355  or http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/topics/reftopic.aspx/dhs/en/contact?c=ca&l=en&s=gen&~tab=3

U.S. 1-800-624-9897
To make a purchase or for pricing information: Option 2
Technical support or for software & technical questions: Option 3
For all other issues related to a purchase already made: Option 4
OR
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/contact_us?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

Good luck.
jim

Jeffery D Zaring

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 03:16:01 PM »
No, it is supposed to be a refurbished.  I bought it off of Ubid.com.  I already bought a System recovery disk separately somewhere else.  Dell won't help because they say the warrantee is void, and Ubid gave me a number to someone who won't help either.  That's why I am on here, hoping someone might be able to help me.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 03:39:15 PM »
Are you trying to install the OS to the 30GB or the 40GB?  Just trying to rule out a hard drive problem.

Jeffery D Zaring

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 04:09:13 PM »
The 30gig(master), it is the one that came with the computer.  I also have the second (40gig, slave) disconected at this time.

dudemanguy

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 02:40:59 AM »
i have an emachine computer and it worked fine and all sumone stole the RAM so i got new ram...worked fine for a while bsod came up with a message like "pfn list corrupt"
restarted explorer didnt work...installed xp pro it messed up so i installed xp media center edition and it worked...decided to reformat then reinstall media center thats when the s*** hit the fan....when it gets to the yellow bar where windows copies all of the files it kept coming up saying it couldnt copy the files...changed cd-roms and samestuff...i changed the hardrive straps and the cdrom straps and seemed to work better....messed up again....step dad thought it was the motherboard...bought a new one...installed then same problems...unplegged the dvd rom and didnt get as many errors but still got stuck on the yellow bar...so...i finally get xp pro installed....cd rw and dvd dont even show up in my comp. finally got just the cd rw to work all was gravy....then i tried to upgrade to media center got all the way to where it says "finalizing installation" bsod pops up(I HATE THAT THING!) pfn list corrupt...or sumtimes it says bad pool header...and many others....most common is the pfn list corrupt....i have two hdrives 1)28gig that i reformatted many times trying to get it to install and 2)200 gig slave that i only use for storage...tested everything and were sure its not the hardrives...not the mother board...not the straps....but sumthing keeps happening and the freakin bsod comes up....im here all day ill be checking the board for any help....if you need more details ill be more than happy to go step by step through the reformatting and installation with anyone who knows what they're doing....i appreciate anything that you can help me with....later

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 07:34:15 PM »
Daddy:

This is a shot in the dark, but did you not click "I agree" to the EULA?

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282296

Another longshot: Are you keeping your hands off the keyboard when setup restarts (or is one of the keys on the keyboard stuck)?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;826976

And this likely does not even come close, but setup usually restarts three times:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/reskit/en-us/prbd_std_fgts.asp

Regards,
Doc
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 07:42:20 PM by pcdoc4christ »

minimullen

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 12:21:49 AM »
i clicked i agree...im actually across the roomwhen its installing...i dont feel like staring at the blue screen forever so i watch tv...and im pretty sure its not supposed to stop like that..but i did try again just now and i wrote down the bsod error thing this time it said

"cdfs_file_system" followed by

0x00000026 (0x000401f4, 0xf80c4e94, 0xf80c4b94, 0x80829f42)

minimullen

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 12:23:27 AM »
and this time i used the windows xp pro disk...not media center...so i know its not a software issue...because both disks do it...it said it couldnt copy files a few times press enter to retry or esc to skip...i clicked enter and it retried and worked several times...on several different files...then after that bsod came up with that error.....

minimullen

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 12:32:35 AM »
oh sorry...this is dudemanguy...these are my most commn screenames i use everywhere....when i tried to log on as dude it said username doesnt exist so...idk

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 12:13:54 PM »

minimullen

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2005, 03:45:34 PM »
thnx for your help...nuthin works...it got all the way back to finalizing and then bsod with pfn list error....my step-dad came home with a new hp pavillion with this awesome double later dyd burner that can print covers onto the cd!!!!so cool...thnx tho...

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2005, 04:02:14 PM »
Daddy:

See my post here:

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=1115931925

Might i also suggest you leave the rest of your replies at this discussion thread to make it easier for us to help you?  No biggy, it just keeps things less confusing if you use just one thread.

Regards,
Doc

Jaeden09

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2005, 10:39:42 PM »
Might it be a problem with his BIOS? Trying to run off the CD rom first instead of the hard-drive? Just a suggestion... cause when I have to reinstall Windows without formating my hard-drive first I just set the boot order to boot from the CD before it boots from the Hard-drive. So then I can format it through the windows xp cd... Just an idea.

daddyzaring

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2005, 06:02:52 AM »
I am not sure what these other post have to do with my problem, but I am still in need of help.  This is the latest:

Okay, I got the maxtor program to check the hard drive, and the Hard drive tested okay.
I tried to do a clean install three times, and got the following:

In windows during setup, I got a Fatal Error:

Fatal Error

An error has been encountered that prevents setup from continuing.
The security subsystem could not be initialized.
Pess OK to view the setup log file.

I press OK,

SystemSetupLog-(C:\Windows\setuperr.log)

Error:

Setup was unable to set the account domain SID because of the following error: LsaOpenPolicy returned status c0020017.

Fatal Error:

The security subsystem could not be initialized.

Second attempt at installing, I got the following blue screen message:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time you've seen this Stop erroe message screen, restart your computer.  If this screen appears again, follow these Steps.

Check to be sure you have adaquate disk space.  If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates.  Try changing Video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates.  Disable Bios memory options such as caching or shadowing.  If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, Press F8 to select Advanced startup options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

***STOP: 0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0xBF872AOF, 0x00000000)

***        win32.sys-Address BF872AOF base at BF800000, DateStamp 3d6de5e5

Begginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

Third attempt at installing, I got the following blue screen message:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If this is the first time you have seen this Stop error page, restart your computer.  If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you may need.

If problem continues, Disable Bios memory options such as caching or shadowing.  If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, Press F8 to select Advanced startup options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

***STOP: 0x000000 (0xE9ABF090, 0x00000001, 0x808297BD, 0x00000002)