Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: LAN, Modem, firewire missing from Device Manager!  (Read 4423 times)

KG4ONJ

LAN, Modem, firewire missing from Device Manager!
« on: May 05, 2005, 08:41:05 PM »
Hello!

I have a barebones P4 1.6 GHz that I put together about 2 years ago.   It has on-board LAN and modem, and I added a firewire PCI card about 6 months ago.  I also have an AGP video card installed.  Earlier this week I was rendering a DVD overnight (LOOOONG process) and I awoke to find that the computer was in what seemed to be a "hibernate" mode.  No display, but lights on the tower.  Computer did not respond to mouse or keyboard input.  Eventually I reset and there was no display on startup however it seemed to be starting up normally.  I removed the AGP card and plugged the monitor in to the on-board video.

When I restarted again I had video again and everything appeared to start up normally.  However once I got in to XP and started looking around a bit, I found that the on-board LAN, on-board modem, and firewire PCI card were no longer working.  All of my network connections were gone and the components were missing from the device manager.

I have tried to reinstall both original and updated drivers for the components, but XP does not even detect them.  I also tried a PCI LAN card from another computer that was known working and XP did not detect it.  I did a repair install of XP tonight with no positive results.  The install went fine and XP is running smoothly, but still no on-board LAN, modem or my firewire card.

Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks in advance..

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: LAN, Modem, firewire missing from Device Manag
    « Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 10:24:55 PM »
    On one of your bootups did you happen to select
    'boot to last known good configuration'?
    I recently did this & lost the lot (drivers).  :o

I then had to reinstall every driver manually.

KG4ONJ

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 05:15:43 AM »
    On one of your bootups did you happen to select
    'boot to last known good configuration'?
    I recently did this & lost the lot (drivers).  :o

I then had to reinstall every driver manually.

Thanks for the reply!  I hadn't done any previous boots using "boot from last know working configuration", so I don't think that this is the problem.  XP won't even let me install new drivers because it's not even detecting the hardware.  It's as if the hardware doesn't exist or XP has lost the capability of detecting hardware.

Starting to wonder if something has gone bad in the mainboard..

Thanks again

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 04:18:16 PM »
      See if you can 'add new hardware' from the control panel.

KG4ONJ

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 01:40:02 PM »
      Nope, no good - tried that already.  Doesn't recognize any new hardware, and when I try to install manually I get the Code 10 error.  

Last night I took a new hard drive, formatted it, disconnected my old HDs and installed XP on the new one.  Didn't detect any of the same stuff.   Guess I will install a new motherboard - guessing that the PCI bus is fried or something..

Thanks all

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 03:23:57 PM »
      remove both cards from the device manager and re-boot...... and then shutdown  then* take out the cards* and re-boot it maybe an irq problem...

*Case removal caution is needed* esd........play safe.....