Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer for older people  (Read 2105 times)

charcar682

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Computer for older people
    « on: April 02, 2009, 04:05:01 PM »
    You guys were very helpful before, so here I am again.
    My son's father in law needs to get a computer he can use for email and news.
    Does anyone have any idea where I can locate a computer that can be used by an 85 year old man with Macular Degeneration?
    Many thanks in advance.
    Charcar 682

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer for older people
    « Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 04:30:13 PM »
    My problem is not MG, but a similar problem.
    I use regular desktop computers, but with a custom make desk the lets me get closer to the screen. I have the most powerful reading glasses. In fact, I have different powers. I I see with just one eye.
    The Microsoft Magnifier is very annoying. A better solution is two monitors. There are some programs that will let you use one as a magnifier and the other as the main monitor. I have a setup for that in my workshop.
    One company that makes effective dual head video cards and software is Matrox.
    Google for  Matrox G450 Dual Head
    Or just go to the main site:
    http://www.matrox.com/
    They make so much stuff you may have  to struggle to find the software they offer. You may need to e-mail them about your needs. The even make an external box that lets you use a computer you already have to run their special software. You add a second monitor that can zoom to anyplace on the screen of the first monitor. The software can zoom up to 64X using hardware methods that work much better than some software only products.
    Although I learned touch typing, I find that I have to have the keyboard elevated to help me check and see that I am on the home keys.
    My Vision is 400/20, legally blind.I get on the computer every day. I like to use Google Talk and just talk instead of writing.

charcar682

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: Computer for older people
      « Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 06:39:36 PM »
      Thanks Geek-9pm.
      I'll run that by my daughter in law.