Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Virus?  (Read 10887 times)

ArtVandalay7

Topic Starter

Rookie

Virus?
    « on: April 01, 2009, 08:18:45 AM »
    I suspect I may have a virus but need some help please.  The screen now flickers twice each time on startup and I now have problems with the computer freezing up unexpectedly.  I have McAfee running, also have run adaware and spybot, malwarebytes, secunia.  Running these apps has also caused freezeups though and I have had to run them in safe mode although none of them have found anything when I do so.  Also checked for Conficker in safe mode and was negative.  Help please, any suggestions/thoughts? Thanks for any help!

squall_01

Prodigy

Re: Virus?
      « Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 10:24:32 AM »
      That dont mean that you dont have it, but it seems that you did without doubt got hit.  If you have a san disc put avast on it then run it in the infected machine.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

ArtVandalay7

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 10:57:27 AM »
        thanks for the reply...sorry, but what's a san disc?  I do have a 2gb memory stick...I ran avast in safe mode and it didn't find anything...

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 10:58:50 AM »
          san disk is a usb flash drive.  Not sure what your doing with memory?
          Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

ArtVandalay7

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 11:03:15 AM »
            I have a 2gb flash drive, not memory stick.  Run it off the flash drive then?

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 11:06:11 AM »
              there you go alot of people confuse that.  But there two seperate things if it has like the auto run feature in it.  Other wise you'll have conflicts, the only reason why I am saing to do this is cause one scanner cant get what another can.  Too prevent futher issues as well.

ArtVandalay7

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 11:12:48 AM »
                I think it's just a plain old 2gb flash drive, nothing fancy.  So I should download Avast onto it and then run the application from the flash drive, scanning the laptop hard drive?

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 11:17:10 AM »
                  If that all it is, I would attempt to find another way, if someone comes and helps with this since it does have the lanuchpad then, cause you'll just end up having the installer file to avast on there and when you run it, the possible confliction with avg is rather high.

ArtVandalay7

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 11:39:41 AM »
                    Sorry, not sure if I understand.  I have McAfee antivirus, not AVG.  My flash drive is a 1 gb Simpletech.  How should I proceed?

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 11:42:46 AM »
                      You dont need more than one Anti-Virus Software running, this is bad, can cause freeze ups and such.

Advice:Unistall Ad-aware, and leave MBAM(MalwareBytes) and either leave McAffe or Secunia installed on your computer
                      If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 11:44:20 AM »
                        Sorry, working with several post.  You dont have the advantage to run programs from your flash drive from what I know, in other words you be getting the install file to put avast on there rather then the program just install and be able to run with out conflict with mcafee.  Its not possible to have two anti-virus cause of this and even if it was still wouldnt be considered.  Some one else will hopefully be along to hope address the situation.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 11:44:56 AM »
                          You dont need more than one Anti-Virus Software running, this is bad, can cause freeze ups and such.

Advice:Unistall Ad-aware, and leave MBAM(MalwareBytes) and either leave McAffe or Secunia installed on your computer

Thanks, Man.  Did what I could on my behalf.

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 11:46:24 AM »
                            No problem  ;)

And besides with all of those running at once, it probably takes a big toll on his CPU
                            If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

ArtVandalay7

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 11:49:50 AM »
                              Ok, done.  I started with just McAfee on the computer which I am now back to but added these others in the last 24hours trying to find the virus...

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 11:52:01 AM »
                                That is a good point as well but asumed that it was like 3 ghz or somthing.  Well you shouled be able to take it from here then.  Just was attempting an easier way if you get it.