Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB 2.0 runs at 1.1 speed  (Read 3347 times)

UncleAaron

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    USB 2.0 runs at 1.1 speed
    « on: April 01, 2009, 06:25:15 PM »
    This is the 2nd time I've had my 2.0 card run at 1.1 speed. The other day I had a SD/MMC Card reader hooked up to a cable, which is connected to the 2.0 card. I could not find the device in Windows Explorer.

Well I haven't tried using the device for some time now, maybe 2 or 3 weeks. And now I can see it in WE. The only problem is, it's running at 1.1 speed. I know I've fixed this before, but I cannot remember what I did.

Can someone remind me? And does anyone know what could be making it go back. I have WinXP Home Ed. SP3. I've gone to MS Help & Support, and they said that this was corrected with SP3.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: USB 2.0 runs at 1.1 speed
    « Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 07:24:11 PM »
    how do you know it's running at 1.1 speed?
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

iamyourmom

Intermediate

• Blood Ravens Force Commander
      « Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 07:44:29 PM »
      aye, how do you know its running only at 1.1 speed?

Maybe you should plug the card in, because the "hooked up cable" might be bottlenecking the card speed.l
      Please do not call your computer stupid when it breaks or lags. Computers can only do what they are programmed to. and thus, often it is the user that is stupid. GET MY DRIFT?

UncleAaron

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 06:15:50 AM »
        I get the balloon that says: This device could run better if hooked up to a 2.0 card.

UncleAaron

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 06:18:10 AM »
          aye, how do you know its running only at 1.1 speed?

Maybe you should plug the card in, because the "hooked up cable" might be bottlenecking the card speed.l

I've taken the cord out. Waited for the system notification sound. Waited a few seconds, and then reinserted the usb cable to the 2.0 card. And I still get the balloon saying that the device would work better if it were attached to a 2.0 usb card.

iamyourmom

Intermediate

• Blood Ravens Force Commander
            « Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 06:44:04 AM »
            reinserted the usb cable to the 2.0 card. And I still get the balloon saying that the device would work better if it were attached to a 2.0 usb card.

It is the cable!!! it is bottlenecking the transfer. try plugging the SD card directly in.
            Please do not call your computer stupid when it breaks or lags. Computers can only do what they are programmed to. and thus, often it is the user that is stupid. GET MY DRIFT?

soybean

Genius
            • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 08:51:26 AM »
            If you open Device Manager and expand the section for Universal Serial Bus Controllers, do the titles of any item include the word "enchanced"?

UncleAaron

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 09:08:00 PM »

Here is how it shows up in Device Manager.

soybean

Genius
              • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
              • Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 07:36:13 AM »
              This is the 2nd time I've had my 2.0 card run at 1.1 speed.
              Is this "card" an add-on USB card installed in a PCI slot?  If so, how many USB ports does it have?  Why did you install the card?  Were you having problems with onboard USB?  How long have you had it installed in your computer?  Has it worked alright until the recent instances where it gave you the message indicating it was working at 1.1 speed?

When you installed the card, did you have to install a driver for it or did Windows recognize it without you installing a driver?

UncleAaron

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 07:33:46 AM »
                The other day I moved the USB extention cable--The one I use to hook up a Converter Drive for attaching SD/MMC cards to the computer without going to the back of the computer to hook them up--to a USB 1.1 connector, and copied files from my SD card to the computer.

This morning, I copied some files, and when I turned on my printer (still connected to the 2.0 card), the balloon showing that: "Your device could run better if attached to a high-speed USB card" didn't come up. So I then moved the extention cable to the 2.0 card, and to my amazement, I didn't get that balloon to show up for it either.

Not sure what happened. I guess XP is recognizing it sometimes, and not other times. I guess I'll just have to keep going back and forth with it.

On one of the M$ KB articles it said this was corrected with SP3. I find that hard to believe, because my machine has SP3.

Oh well, thanks for the help. I do appreciate the responses I got. Have a great weekend everyone. :)

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 08:01:23 AM »
                So I then moved the extention cable to the 2.0 card, and to my amazement, I didn't get that balloon to show up for it either.

Your card USB ports are 2.0....all others on that machine are 1,1
                " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                • Certifications: List
                • Experience: Expert
                « Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 04:20:46 PM »
                or I have fixed this before by reinstalling the drivers for all USB devices/controllers/hubs