Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Printing problems  (Read 2065 times)

bkc

Printing problems
« on: April 03, 2009, 08:38:02 PM »
I am new to this site and not sure where to turn.
I work on Windows XP
My computer is an HP Pavillion 525W
My printer is an HP Deskjet 9800
For some reason today my printer will not print.  I have no error lights on the printer.
I have followed all of the troubleshooting tips that were offered in the printer software but nothing has worked.  I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling.  I have 2 printers connected to the same computer and I checked the other one also and it will not print either but I didn't go through all of the troubleshooting tips on the second one.
The only thing I have done differently today was to install some automatic updates from windows so I don't know if that has something to do with it.  Any ideas on what else I can try?  I haven't had it very long and don't print on it often so I have a hard time thinking it could be broken.  Thanks for any help you can give me.  I tried to look in the search screens but didn't see anything that sounded similar.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Printing problems
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 08:57:03 PM »
A few things.
You were/are using XP Pro with SP2?
The printers used to work?
Did you upgrade to SP3? CRight Click My Computer and select properties. It should show which service pack yo have.

Now then, if you have SP3 now, and you had SP2 before, let's focus on the SP3 #$%* thing.

In some cases Service Pack 3 will cause problems. This has been documented by both Microsoft and HP. Each, of course, blames the other.click
You should have a way of doing an UN install of SP3. A restore point is not enough. SP3 has a specific UN install thing.

Check on the HP site to find if your printers were the ones affected by SP3.

The problem is widespread.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=277576&messageID=2664591

http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/printer-support/342067-windows-xp-sp3-will-not-acknowledge-my-printer.html

Sorry I can't give you specific advice, it can be rough to UN install SP3. It ruined one install I have on an older machine.