Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: WinXP Pro new installation  (Read 2961 times)

dlinhc

WinXP Pro new installation
« on: April 06, 2009, 07:26:31 AM »
Hello all..

I am currently using 2 hard disks at the moment, drive 1 is primary with partition C: and E: while the second drive is also in 2 partitions D: and F: respectively. Currently the first partition (D:) in the second drive doesn't contain any data or files while the second partition (F:) in second drive contains misc files and music files of around 3 GB.

I plan to remove the primary partition (drive 1 C: & E:) and install the secondary drive (drive 2 D: & F:) as my primary disk. I also want to install Windows XP Professional into the second drive, can anyone tell me if I install WinXP into the first partition (D:), would I lose all my files and data in the second partition (F:) ?

Figure 1:-
Primary Master:      Partition 1 (Drive C:) Windows ME
                           Partition 2 (Drive E:)
Secondary Master:   Partition 1 (Drive D:) Formatted blank drive
                            Partition 2 (Drive F:) Music, misc files (about 3 GB)

So when I move the secondary master into primary then it would become:

Figure 2:-
Primary Master:      Partition 1 (Drive C:) Formatted blank drive
                           Partition 2 (Drive D:) Music, misc files (about 3 GB)

Figure 1 is my current configuration. I do not plan to install the first hard drive until after the installation of WinXP.
Figure 2 is how the configuration would look like before WinXP install.

So my question is, would I lose all data in Partition 2 (D:) after i do a fresh install on Partition 1 (C:) ?

I hope my explanation isn't too confusing for anyone to understand.. thanks for the help..  :)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: WinXP Pro new installation
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 08:30:45 AM »
The 2nd partition should be untouched by the XP install on the first partition...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "