Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Crashed.Have XP disk, no key.  (Read 5324 times)

echoalways

Topic Starter

Starter

Computer Crashed.Have XP disk, no key.
    « on: April 06, 2009, 02:13:48 PM »

Hello there,
    My friends laptop crashed, and won't boot properly into XP anymore. I have a genuine XP Disk, that has not been used previously, but for the life of me, I can only find the disk, and not the product key. I realize I could go buy one, but I am a poor student, as is my friend. So purchasing one from the Microsoft site would not be an option. Is there a way to install XP and have it running without automatically putting the product key in. We are willing to purchase one, but at this point we are unsure if the computer is even worth fixing.  I know that you need a product key to make sure your copy of windows is genuine; but is there a way around it, at least for the time being? So my friend can access his files, and use his laptop until he can afford to get new one, or buy a product key. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am at a loss at this point, and he is getting very frustrated. Thank you, and here's hoping an answer is easily obtained.

Tam ???
    « Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 04:05:16 PM by echoalways »

Dias de verano

Re: Computer Crashed.Have XP disk, no key.
    « Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 03:36:25 PM »
    here's hoping an answer is easily obtained.

Yes, an answer is easily obtained. There is no way to bypass the product key requirement when installing or repairing Windows using a CD. If you do not enter a valid product key, the install will not proceed.

I must say, you have written a very nice little story explaining why you cannot afford to purchase a licence key. It is a marvel of its type. I almost broke out sobbing at several points. But even if there was a way to bypass the product key, you would not find anything about it here, because this is not that kind of help site.

echoalways

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 03:45:25 PM »
      Is it necessary to be mean? I didn't know. The title of the site is Free computer help for everyone.

fat_basterd21

Apprentice

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 03:57:35 PM »
      I have to admit the way you put it "bypass xp key" is illeagle and we just dont do that here.

But if you post more about your computer there may be another way.  For instance recovery discs do not need the xp key usualy because they are made for a specific computer. Also if these are lost and you have a mainstream computer i.e Dell, Gateway ect. The recovery disks can be obtained from the manufacturer at a fraction of the cost of a retail XP cd. Usualy $15 or so.

Also what is it that you need to do? Reinstall XP or Fix a crashed pc and access the files? Reinstalling XP will only erase everything.
      CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE-CONTROL FOR COOL!!!

echoalways

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 04:03:10 PM »
        I understand, and thank you for not being rude or mean. I will re word my question, in the future. I don't mean by pass per say we simply need his computer working again, regardless of whether or not we retain the info on the computer. He doesn't have the recovery disk, he recently relocated and lost a few paper files in the process. I am not positive as to what he did to make it crash, the computer is less then a year old. I am not computer savvy, and I am not looking to do anything illegal. We just need the computer for school. I was just wondering if there was a way, and if there isn't I am willing to accept there isn't. But it isn't necessary for people to be mean to me, I simply didn't know. Thank you.

fat_basterd21

Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 04:42:10 PM »
        Ok brainfart... You said laptop ofcourse you can easily get a recovery disk for this which is going to be the best option. Second if you are trying to use an XP disk that did not come with the laptop 99% chance it wont work with the XP key. Also the Windows key should be on the laptop itself, on the bottom ect. If you post the make and model of the laptop I will point you in the direction for the recover disks.

Ok now the free rout if your only concerned with getting files off the computer...

1. You could pull out the hard drive and stick it in another computer.

2. There is alot of linux live disks that are simalar to windows and alow you to boot from the cd-rom and alow you to access files and networks letting to copy to usb or other disks. Its kind of hit and miss if a specific distro will work on your computer.the two I have found most compatable are Ubuntu or Kanotix. Ubuntu will prompt you to either install or boot live. Booting live will run it straight from cd-rom not installing/changing anything on the computer.

Download the .iso burn it to a disc and boot the laptop from the cd-rom

Ubuntu
        http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Kanotix RC7
        http://debian.tu-bs.de/project/kanotix/preview/KANOTIX-2007-THORHAMMER-RC7.iso

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
          • Yes
          • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
        « Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 04:46:59 PM »
        I believe you can load XP, but it will be on a thirty day countdown to registration.  This should give you enough time to decide what you want to do.  The product key is usually packaged separately from the disk.  You might consider, in the future, writing the key on the disc itself.  This means if someone takes the disk, they have your key, but I opt for the convenience of having the key there with the disc if needed.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

fat_basterd21

Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 05:10:36 PM »
        If the disk he has is not the original disk being he is installing it on a laptop chances are he will have as much or more poblems with having no drivers that are compatable with his laptop. Example Keyboard, Mouspad. Ethernet, Modem, Wi-Fi, Possibly the screen (unlikely) its pretty hard to download the drivers when none of those work. Thats if they exist! I have done it.

I still recomend to either get the right tools to fix it or use linux discs which will not break it more. Who knows, five minutes with Ubuntu you might decide to just do a full install of Ubuntu and ditch the Windows crap...

Linux is the free alternative.

P.S. His/Her XP cannot be installed without the key. Not being convinced of by the story I dont persue this solution.

x2543

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 05:32:18 PM »
         maybe if microsoft is nice enough they'd provide you the key or a new key if they're nice enough since you do have a good disk ...

JJ 3000

Egghead
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 05:36:15 PM »
        echoalways, you say that the computer wont boot into xp anymore.

How far do you get into the boot before it stops?

Are you getting any error messages?

Can you get into safe mode?

Did you make any changes to the computer right before this started?

If you have an XP CD you can access the recovery console to try to fix the hard drive.

If you are able to get into safemode you can use magical jellybean to find out your product key
        http://magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Save a Life!
        Adopt a homeless pet.
        http://www.petfinder.com/

x2543

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 08:13:04 PM »
        wait, i thought the disk has NOT BEEN USED PREVIOUSLY, which means that no installation or activation has been attempted with said disk that original poster has. Therefore, you are not able to find key for the disk.

But if you can find alternative key of a legal xp that fits your disk version (home, professional, 32bit or 64 bit) then it might be usable if you have not activated too many times.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 08:28:20 PM »
        When you get a new computer, save your documents and everything relate in a good place. Or make copies. And learn how to make a full backup of you system on external media.

Anyone can download a program like Nero 7 that can help you backup the system on DVD-R discs. If you new computer has a DVD burner, most do. The product key will not be needed if the system is restored to the same PC.

http://www.nero.com/enu/support-nero7-tutorials-copy-backup.html

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 08:44:24 PM »
        If the disk he has is not the original disk being he is installing it on a laptop chances are he will have as much or more poblems with having no drivers that are compatable with his laptop. Example Keyboard, Mouspad. Ethernet, Modem, Wi-Fi, Possibly the screen (unlikely) its pretty hard to download the drivers when none of those work. Thats if they exist! I have done it.
        The only one needed is either the LAN or network.

the generic drivers will ALWAYS work with the hardware, I have rebuilt a LOT of laptops and PCs and have yet to see one simply not work with the generic drivers. That's the point of them. they are generic.

keyboards will NOT need special drivers, except perhaps for special keys; in fact most laptops handle such keys such as the Fn key in hardware and the OS never "sees" the Fn key being pressed. And the mouse works too with the generic PS/2 or HID driver, but the mouse isn't 100% needed anyway if the keyboard works. And the mousepad doesn't have drivers anyway, on account of being a mousepad.

LAN/wifi drivers are necessary only if there isn't an alternative PC to download the proper drivers, which, if the recovery CD installs XP, will exist on the manufacturers site.

I might add that every PC/laptop I've purchased I ditch the recovery CD and perform a fresh install of the OS that came with it. Although under most circumstances I save money and get the PC equipped with Home edition and then install my Professional, or Basic/Home premium with Ultimate. I have yet to do this and fail. Even my Vista equipped laptop from less then three months ago had XP drivers for all it's hardware, both 32-bit and 64-bit.

I still recomend to either get the right tools to fix it or use linux discs which will not break it more. Who knows, five minutes with Ubuntu you might decide to just do a full install of Ubuntu and ditch the Windows crap...

Linux is the free alternative.
        IMO Ubuntu is a great alternative but the adage "you get what you pay for" really rings true. It's a great OS, but being that it's maintained by volunteer developers it is usually about a half-step behind the greatest. Heck I can't even install 8.10 on my new laptop because it apparently has a "unsupported  PM regs" error while booting and attempting to install from the Live CD.

On the other hand I wouldn't say the advantage of a half-step is worth hundreds of dollars. But I must point out the irony of complaining about windows Driver support and then suggesting Ubuntu. I just got the ability to use the net on my laptop through Linux via Ubuntu 8.10... didn't work with 8.04. Fedora 10 works too.

Additionally I'd like to point out that the number of choices as for which linux distro to use are far more confusing then the choices offered by the various versions of windows.

P.S. His/Her XP cannot be installed without the key. Not being convinced of by the story I dont persue this solution.

it can... but obviously such a solution is illegal and thus cannot be pursued here.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Dias de verano

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 12:27:06 AM »
        No key no install  - it's as simple as that. There is much I could say here, but I shall not.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
          • Yes
          • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
        « Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 09:26:18 AM »
        Agreed -- but if the user is legitimate, and they slow down and think, they may find they have some options, here -- but it will come down to having a legitimate registration key to go along with the version of Windows they may have.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"