Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: A Computer dummy needs helps  (Read 13252 times)

rejoicing1

A Computer dummy needs helps
« on: May 07, 2005, 06:07:04 PM »
We purchased a new Dell computer in January. MY husband and I have been playing around with the old one, A Gateway2000 Pentium11 with Windows98. We decided we would try and install Windowsxp from the CDrom given us with our new computer!( Are you getting the feeling we are dummies now?!!!).......it installed, but then when we went to do a setup we ran into problems....
How can we remove The XP and start all over, and what can we do?
ps. We are just doing this as a learning experiment and fun so we are not paniced, but we would like to  get this set up for our neighbors to use. ( we are both senior citizens and not too computer savey!)
Thank you in advance for any help.
rejoicing1

pcdoc4christ

Re: A Computer dummy needs helps
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 06:13:23 PM »
Rejoicing:

Do you have the Windows 98 SE OEM (or System Restoration) CD that came with the Gateway computer?

Regards,
Doc
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 06:14:43 PM by pcdoc4christ »

rejoicing1

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 07:02:35 PM »
unfortunately no....we have the Windows 98 updateCD.
By the way, I sure love your ID!! That is why I am a rejoicing1  !!

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 08:59:20 PM »
The reason that it didn't work is becuase Dell, along with other computer manufacturers have installed a security device, which only allows their computers to have the OS installed on... It's hard to explain, but in simpler terms... You can only use those CDs on the Dell computer... Sorry!  :-/

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Mac

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 03:00:29 AM »
Which means that what you are trying to do is illegal. I would format the '98 computer and re-install '98.

A Pentium II and probably too little RAM plus a small drive size is not really good enough for XP.

Still these might come in use...

XP Clean Installing
XP Compatability Test
XP Partition Management
XP Installing Recovery Console

RAM Knowledge Base
RAM And What it Does
RAM Virtual Memory Paging
RAM Reseating & Fitting PDF File

Processor Temperatures
Service Pack Slipstreamer
Power Supply Wattage Calculator
Everest Home Edition Computer Diagnostic Program

PLUS!

RE-INSTALLING WINDOWS 98

rejoicing1

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2005, 07:46:23 AM »
Wow I didn't know that. I was under the impression that you could use a CD once you purchased it, at least for your OWN use. Thank you. I will try now to reformat and reinstall the Windows 98. Any links on how to do that? Thanks everyone for your help.

Mac

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2005, 08:37:25 AM »

rejoicing1

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2005, 09:02:34 AM »
RE-INSTALLING WINDOWS 98

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
One question......when I boot up it asks me what I want to do
1. Windows XP set up or
2.Windows 98.
If I choose Windows 98, it boots up fine as usual.
Is there anyway that I can go in and remove Windows XP,( whatever DID get installed?) In " My computer", what would it look like? I did a search yesterday and by " dates" it would appear that there are a lot of files on the day we tried to install it. I just don't want to go in and remove some important files...........
Hope this makes sense.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2005, 12:00:27 PM »

<----- Agrees with Flame

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2005, 12:08:57 PM »
unfortunately no....we have the Windows 98 updateCD.
By the way, I sure love your ID!! That is why I am a rejoicing1  !!

Yeah, it's good to know relief from guilt and stress is always just a prayer away! (Philippians, chapter 4).

When you say you have the "Windows update CD" do you mean that you have the Windows upgrade CD?  If this is what you mean, then do you also have the installation floppy disks (or CD) for Windows 95 or some previous operating system?

Blessings,
Doc
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 12:09:42 PM by pcdoc4christ »

rejoicing1

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2005, 12:22:07 PM »

Yeah, it's good to know relief from guilt and stress is always just a prayer away! (Philippians, chapter 4).

When you say you have the "Windows update CD" do you mean that you have the Windows upgrade CD?  If this is what you mean, then do you also have the installation floppy disks (or CD) for Windows 95 or some previous operating system?

Blessings,
Doc

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yes, guilt free is great!! Have to keep reminding myself of that fact.
Now on to the questions.......
We have the Upgrade, yes. Sorry for the confusion. My hubsand thinks we have a Windows 95 CD if I haven't given it a toss. He will search for it, and I will let you know.
rejoicing1

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2005, 05:02:40 PM »
Rejoicing:

Very true.

If you have the Windows 95 CD and the Windows 98 CD you will be able to install Windows 98 again.  The advantage to this is a two-fold one: First, this will allow you to reformat the hard drive, which will erase the Windows XP operating system.  Second, this will allow you to remove any private information (such as your credit card number) or files (such as letters you have written) to which you do not want the next owner of the computer to have access.  So, let us know if you your husband finds the Windows 95 CD of floppy disks.  

If he does not find it (or them), it is still possible to remove Windows XP (that is, if the setup program saved the data to uninstall the operating system).  In this case, you will then have to go through the long process of removing any documents, Internet Explorer favorites, address book entries, and other files and settings to which do not want the next owner of the computer to have access.

Let us know, then Mac or Flame or i will suggest what to do next.

Blessings,
Doc  
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 05:07:34 PM by pcdoc4christ »

rejoicing1

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2005, 08:25:56 AM »
Rejoicing:

Very true.

If you have the Windows 95 CD and the Windows 98 CD you will be able to install Windows 98 again.  The advantage to this is a two-fold one: First, this will allow you to reformat the hard drive, which will erase the Windows XP operating system.  Second, this will allow you to remove any private information (such as your credit card number) or files (such as letters you have written) to which you do not want the next owner of the computer to have access.  So, let us know if you your husband finds the Windows 95 CD of floppy disks.  

If he does not find it (or them), it is still possible to remove Windows XP (that is, if the setup program saved the data to uninstall the operating system).  In this case, you will then have to go through the long process of removing any documents, Internet Explorer favorites, address book entries, and other files and settings to which do not want the next owner of the computer to have access.

Let us know, then Mac or Flame or i will suggest what to do next.

Blessings,
Doc  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Good morning. Had to help with my sister yesterday who has cancer so have had to set my computer woes on a back burner.  How would I know if Windows XP  " uninstall"  is on the computer. What would the file look like?
Probably another silly question.
Rejoicing1

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2005, 12:05:55 PM »
Rejoicing:

Sorry to hear about your sister; i'll pray for her.

To answer your question, the uninstall XP option is only available if you are able to get to the XP desktop.  After reading your posts again, i believe i was mistaken that this option is available to you because the setup program did not complete the installation of XP.  

Now, to get rid of the message to choose which operating system you want, the easiest way is to edit the boot.ini file that the Windows XP setup created.  You have to be careful doing this, however, because making a mistake in the file will mean you will not be able to start Windows 98 till you correct the mistake.

There are at least two safe things you may change in the file:

A.  The default operating system should be changed to Windows 98 (right now it must be set to select XP setup).

B. The amount of time for the computer to wait before selecting Windows 98 should be set to zero.

Once these changes are made and saved in the file, your computer will seem to boot to 98 as normal.  Then all you may want to do is delete the files that the Windows XP setup program created (that is, if you want to create more space on the hard drive to install programs and save documents, etc.).  If it were me, i'd just delete the ARC path to the setup program in the boot.ini file, but i would not suggest you do this, as making a mistake will cause problems.

Of course, if you do find the Windows 95 installation CD (or set of floppy disks) then it will be easier, as i mentioned in the above post.  Let us know if you want instructions as to how to edit boot.ini.

Blessings to you and yours,
Doc

« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 12:09:54 PM by pcdoc4christ »

rejoicing1

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005, 02:18:15 PM »
Rejoicing:

Of course, if you do find the Windows 95 installation CD (or set of floppy disks) then it will be easier, as i mentioned in the above post.  Let us know if you want instructions as to how to edit boot.ini.

Blessings to you and yours,
Doc

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I cannot tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to help me on this. Hubby thinks he MAY have a set of floppys and has set out once again to do a search for them. Is there any where I could purchase reasonable a new CD for Windows 98 if I cannot find my old one?

rejoicing1