Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: FTP  (Read 2262 times)

Michael

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Experience: Experienced
    FTP
    « on: April 07, 2009, 03:48:47 AM »
    My company is currently using FTP to receive files from customers, but some customers always have problem accessing our FTP server e.g. connection broken midway transferring files, prompted "connection terminated" when they log in, prompted "make sure you have the permission to access...", and some cannot even get to the log in dialogue box.
    Ironically, when I try to log in using their account from my house, no problem at all. So I'm wondering whether this is the problem with their internet connection? Or maybe really have problem at our end? Because they claimed that they have no problem accessing FTP of other suppliers.
    Is there any better way to transfer files other than FTP?
    Thanks.

brundle

Re: FTP
    « Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 12:16:14 PM »
    Are you, or your customers using passive or active FTP?

Michael

Topic Starter

Adviser
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 03:40:25 AM »
      What is active/passive FTP? I'm not sure....how can I tell?
      We are using zFTP/dyndns.

brundle

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 01:27:36 PM »
      Active is usually the default, passive helps when there are firewall or connection issues. If you don't have any options relating to it in your FTP program, it's most likely Active FTP. Are ports 20&21 open or forwarded on clients and servers?  FTP uses both.

I'm not familiar with zFTP but I had a quick look - passive port numbers can be allocated under the General config tab - this zftp forum post might help you. http://forum.zftpserver.com/viewtopic.php?t=1077