Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Downgraded XP (SP3) can't find audio drivers (high def audio bus)  (Read 42423 times)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Downgraded XP (SP3) can't find audio drivers (high def audio bus)
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 11:10:07 AM »
Ear;ier yoour said
My problem now is that I can't get sound.  The sound card is integrated into the motherboard and doesn't have it's own driver, and the Intel website doesn't have a driver for it (I do know what chipset I have, although that's not really helpful in this case it seems).  The HP website has a driver for it, but that's for Vista and doesn't work (I tried it).
Can you tell us the chipset? What Intel mobo number?
Maybe I can explore the intel site for you. No charge.

Mark747

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 01:52:44 PM »
    Howdy,
    Just away with family for Easter, will be back in a day to report a little more.
    Thanks for the offer - much appreciated!
    Cheers,
    Mark

Mark747

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2009, 05:54:17 PM »
      Hi again all,

I'm wondering if perhaps it's not an Intel chip/board driver I should be after, but a specific sound board driver.  As best I can tell my sound card is integrated into the motherboard, so I assumed it was Intel.  But from all the reading I've done I'm not convinced that's the case.

So now I'm trying to confirm what type of sound card I actually have, integrated or otherwise.
      Here's a picture of our second laptop with Vista still on it, showing the "Sound Device" entries (this is in the "System Information" part of Windows).

(Ignore the Bluetooth entries, I don't believe they matter.)

So this is a bit odd... the nvidia graphics card (not integrated) handles some of the HDMI sound.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled the nvidia drivers for XP, and they've gone in fine.  No problems noted.  And there was a section for HDMI audio - confirmed no issues with installation.

But there's also an IDT (www.idt.com) entry, although I can't find any drivers on their website.  Having said that, the picture above shows it as being a CODEC, which I didn't think was hardware as such. 

So do I have an IDT brand sound card?  Or is it actually Intel?  Or is it actually nvidia?

Oh man...  haha    I'm going so insane with this...

Additionally, here's something I found on the Intel website - check out the link, it's a quick read...
      http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-009244.htm

-  I have the KB888111.exe file installed, and the MS UAA drivers all appear to be functioning properly and without issue;
      -  I assume I have an Intel motherboard, but I can't ID exactly which one;
      -  Device Manager shows me as having chipset : Mobile Intel(R) 45 Express Chipset Series

Having read this page though, perhaps there's just not a driver for XP available.
      Or... am I still just not looking in the right place.

Thanks again guys.
      M

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #18 on: April 11, 2009, 07:55:29 PM »
      We need information about which model you have.
      HP Pavilion dv5 Notebook PC
      Is this it?
      http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/ho/WF06a/321957-321957-3329744-64354-64354-3744188.html

Can you locate your Laptop on the HP site? The drivers are on the site, but we need the specific information about which model it was and what features it had.

Mark747

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2009, 08:55:44 PM »
        Howdy,

HP Pavilion DV5-1140tx Special Edition.
        The drivers are on the site but are only for Vista, so that's not been much help unfortunately.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #20 on: April 11, 2009, 10:39:25 PM »
        Here is the list of drivers in the VISTA install of DV5-1140tx
        http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2093&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3842189

Any of these models may not have a full XP list of drivers because it was not shipped with XP. However, models in this series, or similar earlier models had been shipped with XP and there are drivers for XP.

The chipset is one of these:
        Chipset Northbridge:
        AMD M770 chipset, ATI
        Radeon HD 3450 graphics
        Northbridge: AMD M780G chipset, ATI
        Radeon HD 3200 graphics
        Southbridge: AMD SB700
        Northbridge: Intel PM45
        Southbridge: Intel ICH9M

Possible earlier models may be:
        dv5-1000 / dv5-1002 / dv5-1003 /
        dv5-1004 / dv5-1010 / dv5-1015 /
        dv5-1017 / dv5-1022 /

I found this in the maintenance manual.
        Rather that taking wild guess atre what audio chip it is, it is beeter to search inside the HP site for an warlier model that may have the same shipset, at least for the audio portion. If any moody wants to help, take a look
        It looks like NONE of these were shipped with XP. Does anybody know for surte?

Sorry, this is the best I do for now. I do not think you will find the drivers from In tell. The board is a custom design.

Mark747

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2009, 03:42:02 PM »
          I hadn't thought of going back to earlier models for the drivers - good one.

A few quick queries on what you've posted above please:

-  How did you come up with the list of possible chipsets below?  Is that what you meant about checking the maintenance manual.
          -  I gather the 45 Express Chipset listed in my Device Manager isn't correct - or is ambiguous?
          -  When you say the board is a custom design, can you explain what you mean as it relates to my computer?

Thanks again.
          I'm still working on it.

Mark747

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2009, 05:14:30 PM »
            ok, I've found the online manual I believe you were talking about.  As I've got an Intel chip and not AMD, it seems that the chipsets I have are:

Northbridge : Intel PM45
            Southbridge : Intel ICH9M

From what I understand it's the Northbridge chip which handles the integrated cards, etc, so I'll focus on that for now.  Searching the Intel site, I find these relevant pages on this chip:

http://www.intel.com/products/notebook/chipsets/pm45/pm45-overview.htm
            http://ark.intel.com/chipset.aspx?familyID=35515

Further searching for drivers at Intel relating to my chip shows this page, which says the chipset is supported in XP:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/mobile/sb/CS-029626.htm
            It also confirms which mobile boards the chipset relates to.  There's links to each of the two boards listed, so I picked the first one (Intel® Mobile Board MGM45RM).

(This may all seem obvious guys but it helps me to think it through...)

Then clicked the "drivers" link, and selected XP Home as the Windows version for available downloadable files...
            One of the drivers was an Intel Mobile Board Integrated Audio Driver (it related to both motherboards, so it wouldn't have mattered if I'd picked the first or second one), and shows XP Home as being supported.  I've actually attempted to load this before, although given I'd installed and uninstalled so many things up to this point I did a fresh format and started again.

So:
            1.  Format
            2.  Install KB888111.exe
            3.  Install Intel Mobile Board Integrated Audio Driver
            4.  Install the nvidia HDMI audio and graphics drivers

RESULT...

nothing.

I'm going to try calling Intel, and hopefully not get a Bangladeshi who, while I'm sure will be very nice, probably won't fix my problem.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #23 on: April 12, 2009, 05:26:13 PM »
            Northbridge: Intel PM45
            Southbridge: Intel ICH9M

That maybe another reference to the Intel chip above.

here is a temporary linj to the manual. I will take this down later.

http://help9pm.com/PDF/HP-c01550108.pdf

(It is over 5MB)

Even after a chip has been designed, forged and put in a carrier, a chip may have custom features that the customer, HP, may determine during assembly. This information  HP does not publish. They will have a driver written in-house and other companies will not be able to just copy the drivers for products they make with the same chip.  This gives HP some way to protect their intellectual rights in the marketplace. Here I want to explain that finding a driver for the particular chip is not a guarantee that it will fully perform. As for sound chips, one would think there would be little reason to customize them, because most  of the new stuff has to do with HDTV. But Hi Def also improves sound features.

What you can home for is that an earlier Entertainment Laptop by HP used the exact same chip set and was shipped with XP Pro. In that case the is a sound driver somewhere as part of a install set, but not indexed as a separate item for download. So it would be there, but you can not find it in the search.

If anybody has more information, please say something.
            This is driving us crazy. :P

Mark747

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2009, 06:04:03 PM »
              ok, understood.
              I've got the manual you posted, and as soon as I get back today I'll start searching as you've suggested.
              Cheers,
              M

Mark747

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2009, 01:49:52 PM »
                I HAVE SOUND!!!!!

I have to scoot to work, but will log on from there later today and update how I did it.
                It's not perfect yet, but it's a start...
                « Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 05:53:54 PM by Mark747 »

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                • Experience: Beginner
                « Reply #26 on: April 13, 2009, 05:00:34 PM »
                You never said you were looking for perfect sound..... ;D

::)
                " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Mark747

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2009, 05:49:30 PM »
                  hehe... well it's almost perfect.

So after reading many, many, MANY forums and posts about XP issues on Vista machines, I finally chanced across a thread where a user mentioned that he backed up the folder c:\SWsetup\  and everything in it - this was from his Vista OS before he wiped it.  One of those things was a folder named "Audio".  I went to my other Vista machine (identical laptop) and noticed in this folder that there were references to XP, so copied the folder over to my new XP machine, hit "setup.exe", ran through the motions (which oddly seemed very similar to things I'd done before... but anyway...), and then hit "restart machine" as instructed... 
                  And to my great surprise I got the standard XP shutdown tune...!  I almost had a little accident...   haha

I hadn't run any Windows Update previously (although on a prior installation test I did, and that wasn't the audio problem) so I did this and the touch buttons at the top of the keyboard started to work better.  They're not perfect, but acceptable for me.

-  The mute button doesn't change colour, although works.
                  -  The volume line doesn't make the sound as smoothly as it did in Vista, and doesn't increase or decrease the lighting as the volume is changed - but, the volume does change.
                  -  I have a funny feeling the volume has a slight mind of its own, but I'm not sure yet.  Time will tell.

And so there you have it!  The Vista computer had what I was looking for all along.  But, I don't know where to get this driver otherwise, so if you've already formatted your machine you'll need to put Vista back on it, save that folder mentioned above, then go back to an installation of XP and use that folder for the Audio driver requirements.

And finally, a massive thanks to everyone who's posted in this thread!

Cheers all,
                  Mark

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                    • BC-Programming.com
                  • Experience: Beginner
                  « Reply #28 on: April 13, 2009, 05:51:51 PM »
                  Good to hear you got that working.

Chances are the lights and so forth that aren't functioning properly need special drivers. Honestly, I wouldn't bother.
                  I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Mark747

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2009, 05:57:46 PM »
                    I'm not sure that I will.  Having said that though, I've got a lot of momentum in searching for drivers at the moment and I don't really mind killing the rest of the day cleaning up the final odds and ends.