Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My AVG won't open or Work  (Read 19830 times)

JHenderson

Topic Starter

Beginner
    My AVG won't open or Work
    « on: April 10, 2009, 08:04:24 PM »
    As of yesterday I was updating my computer using Secunia. I finished doing that and rebooted the computer. When computer was done loading avg tray was nowhere to be found on the taskbar. I tried to open the program and it gave me this error message "'The application has failed to start because it's side-by-side configuration is incorrect". Ok, so then I tried uninstalling AVG and reinstalling it but it still says the same thing. Sometimes windows Security Center recognizes its running and up to date but I cant even open the program. Since that time, I have been getting some unusual popups online occasionally and even Secunia wont open past the "testing network connection screen". I don't know whats going on. I tried searching online and people have had this problem but the so called "experts" weren't even close to as knowledgable as you guys here at Computer hope. So here I am.   I ran a scan using malwarebytes (JUST IN CASE) and it came up clean. Thanks
    Vista Basic
    Pentium M 1.6
    1 GB ram
    80 GB HDD 2 TB external
    Toshiba Satellitle
    128 graphics

JHenderson

Topic Starter

Beginner
      Re: My AVG won't open or Work
      « Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 08:21:00 PM »
      UPDATE: I have gotten secunia to load and did a spyware scan. Secunia score at 100%. I havent gotten anymore "weird Pop-ups" so I guess my main p[roblem is getting AVG running. Thanks again

Custom-IT

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 12:18:54 PM »
        I'm looking in to this problem at the moment for someone else as well. I will follow this thread and update you of anything I find out...
        Custom I.T. Computer Services
        www.custom-it.co.uk

Broni

Mastermind
        • Kraków my love :)
          • Computer Help Forum
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 12:45:37 PM »
        "'The application has failed to start because it's side-by-side configuration is incorrect" - pretty common, and one of many new AVG issues, so I don't recommend it anymore.
        My advice - get rid of AVG, using AVG Remover: http://www.avg.com/download-tools

Your better choices....

- Avast! free antivirus: http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
        - Avira free antivirus: http://www.free-av.com/en/download/index.html

- free PC Tools Firewall Plus: http://www.pctools.com/firewall/

- free Comodo Internet Security (firewall + AV): http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

If you decide to install Avast, or Avira, make sure, Windows firewall is turned on, or use PC Tools Firewall Plus.
        If you decide to install Comodo, make sure, Windows firewall is turned off.

IMPORTANT! Make sure, you use only ONE antivirus, and ONE firewall.

JHenderson

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 08:31:57 PM »
          I figured it out: YAY  ;D

To fix it......
          uninstall Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2005 and reboot your computer then reinstall it upon bootup. It worked like a charm for me. Hope it works for the other guy too
          Here is the link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=200b2fd9-ae1a-4a14-984d-389c36f85647
           THANKS BRONI AND CUSTOM IT!!!!!

quaxo

Guru
            • Yes
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 03:23:46 PM »
          I recently quit using and recommending AVG because of many issues like this. I decided to try the pay version of Kaspersky Internet Security since I can get a subscription for it for $15 a year for 3 licenses through their distributor here. Very pleased with it so far. I've recommended it to a few other people and got them licenses as well and they've had only good things to say about it. I don't know what the price is elsewhere, but I'd recommend paying for it to anyone. It's been well worth it.

(Please don't flood my inbox asking for a license at that price unless you're living in Thailand, as I can only legally sell it in here.)

Custom-IT

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 06:26:21 PM »
            Just to let everyone know, removing the Visual C++ Redistributable did not resolve my clients problem.

However, SUPERAntiSpyware seems to have sorted it out. It found 54 infections including Generic.Trojan Unknown and was the only Anti Malware/Spyware/Virus software we could a) Download, b) Install and c) actually run succesfully!

All appears to be ok now but just want to find out where the infection came from as it's a reasonably new re-install...?
            www.custom-it.co.uk

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            « Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 08:43:21 PM »
            Was the computer connected to the net while reinstalling Windows?

Custom-IT

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 04:52:52 AM »
              No... Not until after Service Pack 2 was installed...

Update:

Found 5 more nasties with SUPERAntiSpyware today, removed these, re-installed AVG, ran Malwarebytes Anti Malware and all appears to be fine now...
              www.custom-it.co.uk

Broni

Mastermind
                • Computer Help Forum
              « Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 05:47:50 PM »
              If any doubts...

Read here: http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html
              Start new topic here: http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/board,7.0.html
              Do NOT post any logs in THIS thread.

Warlord_Shen

Starter

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 08:45:14 AM »
                I also have the same problem as him about the side-by-side configuration problem whenever i launch a game application. This is the only application im having a problem with.
                i already did a lot of searching on the web such as installing that c++ 2005 v86 redistrituble, installing visual stuido 2008 sp1 and running SUPERAntiSpyware. However this problem is still around. help will be appreciated thanks.

routik

Rookie

• Powerful learning is a mindset.
                  « Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 09:20:16 AM »
                  My advice - get rid of AVG, using AVG Remover: http://www.avg.com/download-tools
                  I sill prefer AVG to avira and avast, but like you said ealier that
                  If you decide to install Avast, or Avira, make sure, Windows firewall is turned on, or use PC Tools Firewall Plus.
                  that can be another alternative for me to use avast or avira but i dislike them though.
                  If you don't take hold of your destiny other people will run your life

routik

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 09:37:28 AM »
                    I recently quit using and recommending AVG because of many issues like this. I decided to try the pay version of Kaspersky Internet Security since I can get a subscription for it for $15 a year for 3 licenses through their distributor here. Very pleased with it so far. I've recommended it to a few other people and got them licenses as well and they've had only good things to say about it. I don't know what the price is elsewhere, but I'd recommend paying for it to anyone. It's been well worth it.

(Please don't flood my inbox asking for a license at that price unless you're living in Thailand, as I can only legally sell it in here.)
                    how can i partake in this biz, though am not living in thailand, is it possible for me to benefit from this?

patio

• Genius
                    • Maud' Dib
                      • Yes
                    • Experience: Beginner
                    « Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 06:49:51 PM »
                    No...
                    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

quaxo

Guru
                      • Yes
                    « Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 09:42:37 AM »
                    Wow, a year since I posted that and no one except this person has asked. I guess he/she couldn't/didn't read.

The answer was, and still is, an absolute no. I still recommend Kaspersky though.

patio

• Genius
                    • Maud' Dib
                      • Yes
                    « Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 10:22:25 AM »
                    Good to seeya again Quaxo....
                    How's things over the Pond ? ?

routik

Rookie

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 12:05:59 PM »
                      Wow, a year since I posted that and no one except this person has asked. I guess he/she couldn't/didn't read.

The answer was, and still is, an absolute no. I still recommend Kaspersky though.
                      yeah, though new in this forum but not that active but am trying to be fully active now. thought i can still benefit from it, i think i missed the opportunity. :(

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                        • Yes
                        • Yes
                        • BC-Programming.com
                      • Certifications: List
                      « Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 07:12:10 PM »
                      thought i can still benefit from it, i think i missed the opportunity. :(

There never was an opportunity. Quaxo made that fairly clear when he mentioned it.
                      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

quaxo

Guru
                        • Yes
                      « Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 09:19:12 PM »
                      Good to seeya again Quaxo....
                      How's things over the Pond ? ?

Good good. I've been around from time to time reading up on things and keeping up with old threads, but just been really busy lately. We've just bought a house, which has been one problem after another but got it mostly sorted now. Then there's the new dog, a German Shepherd. Then there's the protests going on here again. It's always something, but we're getting on.

And BC is correct, there never was an opportunity, unless you are living in Thailand.

JoshM

Beginner
                      • I'm so ahead of my time my parents haven't met yet
                        « Reply #19 on: December 31, 2010, 11:24:51 AM »
                        Just to let you guys know, I'm having the same problem right now with Avast. So its more than just AVG

patio

• Genius
                        • Maud' Dib
                          • Yes
                        « Reply #20 on: December 31, 2010, 04:42:09 PM »
                        Spot on...