Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Motherboard/wireless card incompatable?  (Read 2421 times)

darkstarmagnolia

Topic Starter

Starter

Motherboard/wireless card incompatable?
    « on: April 10, 2009, 08:50:12 PM »
    I've been using a usb wireless adapter for the past 2.5 years on my computer. I broke it recently (long story, but definitely broke) and decided to go with an internal card. So, I purchased this one from newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315041
    EDIMAX EW-7128G IEEE 802.11b/g PCI Wireless Card

The motherboard I have is
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131142
    ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

I'm not dumb with computers, but I'm definitely not fluent. I'm learning as I go along, but it was a home built computer. Anyway, it appears that the card doesn't fit into the slot I thought it should fit into. I have a huge video card so I'm not sure if that's covering something up, but from what I've read the PCI express slots aren't compatible with most of these wireless cards. I can't tell exactly what's going on, but it appears that may be my problem. I was trying to put the card into the two white slots at the very bottom. Is there another place I should be looking? Am I just being stupid and it should fit somewhere? It looked like the motherboard had normal and express PCI slots, but I thought maybe the video card was covering one up or something.

Sorry if this is a stupid question. Thanks!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Motherboard/wireless card incompatable?
    « Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 09:21:27 PM »
    a PCI card goes in a PCI slot.

the white slots sound like PCI slots. how are they not fitting?
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 10:14:10 PM »
    Just looked at the pictures of your board. That card (which is PCI) should fit into one of those two PCI (white) slots. Not exactly sure what  you're doing wrong. Can you explain why you can't fit it there?

darkstarmagnolia

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 05:08:26 AM »
      Yep. There are 3 "sections" on the card where it connects into the slot. There is a little section, a larger section and then another small section. The slot has a large section and then a small section. I have this feeling with computers that if it doesn't fit don't force it into place. When I try to put the card into the slot, it just doesn't go in. I don't know if I pushed it VERY hard if it would go in there, but I think that's a bad idea. It should just slide in from what I know. I have a feeling it's the type of PCI slot/card but I'm not sure I understand all of how they're different, what kinds I'm dealing with.

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 06:18:01 AM »
      Ah, I see what you mean. Some PCI cards have this and some don't. No need to worry, it does go into that PCI slot though. My old PCI soundcard was like that as well.

As for your trouble getting it in, sometimes you do have to apply a bit of pressure to get it to slip into the slot right, they can be quite tight fitting.

darkstarmagnolia

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 10:11:39 AM »
        Great :) Thank you. Good to know I'm not just nuts. I guess it's not so bad when things don't work right away, because you learn a little more each time. I've had a few things break recently, well, mostly just my power supply, and I learned all about how to test it and get it back to working properly, and I guess this is just one more step in the journey. Thanks for your help, I'll let you know if I get it in.