Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MemoryManagement in Vista  (Read 2501 times)

rnazarian

Topic Starter

Starter

MemoryManagement in Vista
    « on: April 13, 2009, 03:19:38 AM »
    Hello
    I have a PC with 12 GB of ram because I need an application to run with huge graphics and memory consumption. But I feel the application does not work with high performance. Everything is 64 bit.
    1-Is there any advise to check and see if the application is using the most of the available ram.
    2- If not is there a way to dedicate more memory to a certain application
    3- Can I increase the performance of the application by managing my graphics and computer.
    4- If I have a 64bit  application how much ram in maximum I can allocate for that.

Thanks
    r_n

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: MemoryManagement in Vista
    « Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 03:23:34 AM »
    err- I thik you might be confused about memory allocation.

you don't Allocate memory for a program- the program allocates memory. The only time it wouldn't be able to would be if your RAM is full- 12GB is a lot of space.

to examine your RAM usage, use task manager's processes  tab. there is a Mem Usage column there that may be of interest.

if you can give us more detailed specs (right now all you've given is 12GB of RAM and 64-bit (which is actually kind of implied from the 12GB part  :P) and exactly what issues your encountering, I'm sure we can help.

Also, for the record, increasing the RAM only increases performance up to a certain amount- at which point your pretty much throwing money down a hole. For Vista, I'd put that at around 8GB. Of course more RAM increases performance but really it isn't worth the extra costs at that point.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

rnazarian

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 03:04:25 PM »

Thanks for  replying me.The program needs lots of graphics and 3D rendering. It is a seismic data display. some times you need to display data which is above 80 GB on disk similar to a 3D cube and do rendering of the data. When I am displaying the data in 3D canvas then any movement is sadly slow. Any movement is not seem to be continuous.
      When you wrote more than 8GB of ram is does not worth; how do you  calculate it? is there any mathematical formula to see what is the relationship between ram usage and applications and graphics card specs.
      when a program is 64 bit how does it manage the memory compare to a 32 bit program.
      Thanks

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 04:19:53 PM »
      How Vista Handles Memory

A good read...
      Grab the Adult Beverage of your choice.....
      This also applies to Seven if you have it installed...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 09:19:36 PM »
      What Vista version is it?