Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: motherboard - hard drive problems  (Read 2928 times)

Eric Breen

motherboard - hard drive problems
« on: May 09, 2005, 08:38:57 PM »
Hi all,

So I have a Compaq Presario 700US from 2002, and the old hard drive got fried.  Iīm in Chile so my options are limited, so I connected a friendīs old 10gb hard drive from a 1999 computer.  I was able to install Windows XP just fine, but then problems began.  One out of three times, the computer freezes while booting.  The rest of the time it loads, and I can use it for a while.  Then a clicking sound starts emanating from the case, and within a few seconds the thing freezes.  This has happened maybe 6 times, and each time it works for a shorter period of time before the clicking starts.   I tried reformating Windows fromt the CD, once successfully, but the problems didnīt go away.  I donīt know whatīs going on...itīs not consistent!  Any ideas what the problem might be?  Could the motherboard and hard drive not be well suited for one another?  Could the hard drive be bad?  Could the motherboard have problems?  Any suggestions on what I should try to do?  Thanks so much!!!!

-Eric

jim_me2

Re: motherboard - hard drive problems
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 09:22:41 PM »
Hi Eric,  A little more information please.
What size, make, model was the old drive/is the new drive? Have you checked the jumper settings? What make and model is the motherboard? Do you have backup devices? ie. Jaz drive, tape, etc. Are the fans working? Do you get any beep codes? How are the ribbon cables connected to HDD and CD? ie. HDD on one cable, CD on another, both on one. Does the BIOS recognize the new drive correctly?
Let us know please.
jim

Eric Breen

Re: motherboard - hard drive problems
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 02:07:22 PM »
Hi,
Thanks for your response - the old drive was a 20GB.  The new hard drive is a 10GB IBM Travelstar, model IC25N010ATDA04.  The jumper settings are okay.  The motherboard is a Compaq 274774-001 (I tried for more info, but even Compaqīs customer service couldnīt give me more than that).  No backup devices.  The fans do work, no beep codes.   The HDD and CD are on separate cables.  BIOS does recognize the new hard drive, but how do I know if it recognizes it correctly?  In the BIOS setup (after pressing f10 while loading), i canīt do anything but change the load order of the drives.   Thanks again for your help!

-Eric