Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Password Hiding  (Read 6140 times)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Password Hiding
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 04:01:11 PM »
basically, it's impossible to package a batch as a Pure EXE- and if somebody "needs" too, then there is something amiss.

Who said that? This idea was to hide the password from those who would not be motivated to use extra ordinary methods. That can be done with a batch file converter.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 07:51:46 PM »
Who said that? This idea was to hide the password from those who would not be motivated to use extra ordinary methods. That can be done with a batch file converter.

Opening the resulting exe file in a Text editor I don't think would count as a "extraordinary" method.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 08:36:27 PM »
Opening the resulting exe file in a Text editor I don't think would count as a "extraordinary" method.
There are other versions of BAT2EXE that make the original stings meaningless in a text editor. The does not mean it is totally secure, but out of the reach of many advanced power users.
Is this worth pursuing?
Another alternative is to have a custom program to deploy passwords over a network. The original question was if you can hide a password in a BATCH file. The short answer is no. The long answer is you can make an utility that is easy to use and get the job done. And it can be put in a batch file.And the batch can be deployed over a network and not revel the password .
Was this a homework exercise?