Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No signal to monitor/No windows boot?  (Read 6623 times)

JJ Lucas

No signal to monitor/No windows boot?
« on: May 09, 2005, 10:05:45 PM »
I have a Gateway 933XL computer bought in 2000 running Windows 98SE. Up until last week, it was running fine. Now, whenever I turn it on, it powers up, but my monitor which has power doesn't receive a signal so it does not give me any display. I get no other sign that the computer is booting up either other than the cooling fan running. Usually, there's a thunderclap sound effect as the desktop shows up, but now nothing but fan and dark monitor. Any ideas?

Kablam

Re: No signal to monitor/No windows boot?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 01:28:41 AM »
Have you made any hardware changes? have you Tried a different monitor?

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 07:18:00 AM »
Do you have virus protection? Made any changes to your system recently?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 12:30:30 PM »
...there's a thunderclap sound effect as the desktop shows up, but now nothing but fan and dark monitor...

Try another monitor.

JJLucas

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 05:23:45 PM »
No recent hardware changes.
Motherboard monitor port quit 2 yrs ago. Using VGA card port up until it quit (not sure if tha is the problem)
DVD burner addition and extra RAM 1.5 yrs ago.
Reloaded windows with no problems a few weeks back.
Other aural indications of proper boot aren't there so I am wondering if the monitor/port is really the problem or not.
Could this be a BIOS/CMOS issue?
Trying to get smart on this stuff.

jim_me2

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 07:25:39 AM »
Hi JJ, have you checked that all connections are secure? Monitor cable, Card, etc. They sometimes tend to work loose with time.
jim

JJLucas

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 11:47:31 AM »
Checked and reseated all connections with no results. I am starting to think that it is not the monitor at all but with the computer boot process. What could be the problem?

jim_me2

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 12:35:48 PM »
Hi JJ,
   Other aural indications of proper boot aren't there so I am wondering if the monitor/port is really the problem or not.

I am of the same mind. Trouble is, I went to Gateway site and couldn't find "933XL". Do you have a serial number for the motherboard? What is the new video card? I am wondering about that card, condition, compatability, etc. Even though you've been using it for a while. ???
The more information, the closer to the fix!
jim

merlin_2

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 03:07:26 PM »
move the graphics card to another port....if available.....

maybe the on/off switch on the tower is faulty......or sticky......try a bypass if you know what to do??

pualani

.Re: No signal to monitor/No windows boot?
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2005, 04:54:38 AM »
my computer processor was not fast enough to run my dsl,so my sister decided to take my computer apart . I mean everything was out. Well, my friend had givin me a mother board with a faster processor ,but there was nothing else. The processor that my friend had given me did not fit my other mother board so , I had to use the one it was originally on. So, I finally had put everything together. Oh, yeah there was not battery on the mother board my friend had given me but did require one,which i had.Because i had taken several computers apart and rebuilt it but never had this problem. Well,anyways now when I turn the computer on it just stays blank with a cursor blinking I doesn't even read the devices connected to it or run the memory. The only thing that I can access is pressing esc or alt+cntrl+f1 or esc.

Cary_GRant

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2005, 02:24:14 AM »
how many 'BEEPS' do you hear during the P.O.S.T? (power on self test, a normal computer will give you 1 beep, a pc with a parity error will give off 3 beeps etc etc)

JJLucas

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2005, 11:51:32 AM »
Good news ;D
I did a little more playing around, tried unplugging various pci cards and such, and removed other drives. In the process, I unplugged and reseated the power input to the HDD. Next time I powered up the beast, it worked fine. No more problems. Thanks for all your inputs.

balrog

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2005, 06:51:47 AM »
how many 'BEEPS' do you hear during the P.O.S.T? (power on self test, a normal computer will give you 1 beep, a pc with a parity error will give off 3 beeps etc etc)

so if it has three beeps how do i fix this problem

please help