Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help setting up first computer  (Read 3507 times)

Morrog

Topic Starter

Need help setting up first computer
    « on: April 14, 2009, 01:16:06 PM »
    I just built my first computer, and when I tried to install the OS it gets stuck. I am installing XP. When I turn on my computer it makes a continuous sound, that is very annoying. The first time I tried installing XP it looked like it was going to work, than it gave me some message that the hard drive was bad or there was a virus. So I reset the computer and tried again, now all I get is "verifying DMI pool data" and it wont move pass that. I read the post about DMI and it talked about BIOS setings being correct. I have no idea if my settings are correct. How do I know? Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, and if this is a stupid question. But I am very new to all this. I know home theater not computers.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Need help setting up first computer
    « Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 01:29:32 PM »
    Try a simple diagnostic tool. Boot a CD or floppy that has some basic diagnostics. Run a memory test for half an hour. If the memory is heat sensitive, it will so up before half an hour.  8)

Morrog

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 01:39:43 PM »
      Where would I get these tests?

joking

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 03:06:04 PM »
        Open up the computer and make sure all connectors and add on cards are seated properly.  That means straight/level/flat in the sockets.  Especially the ram chip(s).

Restart the computer and press the Delete key on the keyboard for about 10 seconds.  The bios screen should appear.  Now look for a setting in the bios menu that says something like Optimized Settings, usually on right side of the menu.  Select one of them if there is more than one you may want to try all of them.  This will basically scale the system back to minimal factory settings and then save and reboot.

If it still makes that nagging noise, there are several possiblilies.  Bad RAM, Bad Video, or heat sink isn't making good contact on the CPU.  Baring those, I would take out any add on cards and disconnect all drives.  Get the motherboard, ram, video working and then add on one item at a time.  The one that makes the nagging sound is your problem device.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 03:24:43 PM »
        You will need a working PC to download and burn the CD ISO

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Once yu have a working CD, try it first on the good machine, then see if your new machine will pass the memory test.
         :)