Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can Vista 32bit run 4GB  (Read 5697 times)

Crafty

Can Vista 32bit run 4GB
« on: April 14, 2009, 11:55:30 AM »
Hope someone here can help me out with this. I am running Vista32bit and would like to get it to use 4 GB Ram. A lot of people say that Vista will only recognise 3 GB, but I stumbled on the web site below which says otherwise. Can someone tack a look at that site and tell me if this is safe to do, or is there another way I can get it to recognise 4 GB? I use this computer for online gaming and video work. Thanks!!

http://www.ocmodshop.com/ocmodshop.aspx?a=989

CPU: AMD 64x2 3.21Ghz
mainboard: Asus crosshair
Ram: 2 GB
Graphics Card: Geforce 260 Gtx

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Can Vista 32bit run 4GB
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 12:01:52 PM »
looks alright.

Except that you say you have 2GB of ram- I assume that's a typo?
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Crafty

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 12:13:54 PM »
looks alright.

Except that you say you have 2GB of ram- I assume that's a typo?

I have 2GB already, but I want to buy another 2GB so that I can run 4GB - Not sure what you mean by a typo mistake? I may just leave it to recoginise 3GB as there is more to that website then I first thought. Can you tell me though, if I do buy a another 2GB will it recognise 1GB of that 2GB, it's just I have looked all over to buy just 1GB, but the make I am looking for only seems to come in 2GB now.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 12:17:12 PM »
Here is a simplified answer.
This sort of thing gets a Yes and No answer.
You have to understand that 32bit programs can only reach 4GB using standard 32bit address. There is a hardware provision to read/write lots more memory in the 32 bit mode, but that is used in systems that work as servers.
The hardware and the Operating need to have some memory that is never overwritten by programs and should an not be swapped to a page file. So the standard was to set up to 2GB for the system stuff and up  to 2GB for the applications. Later, a crazy improvement was to allow 3GB to applications.
It is 'crazy' because it caused confusion and it was a dead end for high performance servers that had the hardware provision for lots more memory.

So, yes, 3GB is the piratical limit. It you install 4GB, some of it will be used and you may get a tad over 3GB, but no more. That's it. No room for growth.

Of course, the answer is to go 64bit. Then the issue is gone.

There is a short article on the Microsoft site about this. Or you could just do a Google and get more. Like I said, It has caused lots of confusion and people go on and on about how unfair it is. In retrospect, when Microsoft and Intel did the 32bit design, nobody foresaw that we would every get to 4GB of RAM.

Like it said, this is a simplified explanation. Ask for more if you like.

Crafty

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 12:38:27 PM »
Thanks for the replies; I do need to ask a couple of other questions though. First off, can I update from 32bit to 64bit Vista, and would I have to reinstall all the drivers? Or, will I have to do a clean reinstall of Vista 64bit. Next question, would you say that 3GB should be enough for online gaming or will some games require more than 3GB. Thanks!!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 12:52:54 PM by Crafty »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 12:46:26 PM »
would you say that 3GB should be enough for online gaming or will some games require more than 3GB. Thanks!!
Short answer: Yes.
You might want to re think you question and put it on the Gaming Forum.
Ask something like: 'What setup works good for online gaming?'

You may be surprised at the answers you get. The quality of the network/internet  connection is very high on the list, memory is further down on the list.

Crafty

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 01:08:36 PM »
You might want to re think you question and put it on the Gaming Forum.

I don't belive asking this question on a gaming forum is the answer really. I say this because I have done just that and you are right, it is suprising how many answers you get - Half of them wrong. The problem with gaming forums is this, that someone will always tell you their low end Graphics card is the best and that 512 runs as smooth as 2GB.

My connection won't ever be a problem, I have 50Mb cable and counting - Soon to get 100Mb cable.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 01:21:08 PM by Crafty »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 05:48:52 PM »
Thanks for the replies; I do need to ask a couple of other questions though. First off, can I update from 32bit to 64bit Vista, and would I have to reinstall all the drivers? Or, will I have to do a clean reinstall of Vista 64bit. Next question, would you say that 3GB should be enough for online gaming or will some games require more than 3GB. Thanks!!

The best way to approach this and decide if the move to Vista X64 is to do the legwork and make sure ahead of time that all your devices...especially the MBoard and GPU have 64bit Vista drivers...
I can say you will see a difference...providing the hardware has the drivers to take advantage of it all.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 06:39:18 PM »
I think it accually shows about 3.25gb of ram

Amiman

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 07:56:28 PM »
    Everybody is right. You wont get the full 4 GB BUT you will get the double data rate and grease everything to run a little faster. Upgrading to 64 bit is a real headache having to get new drivers and all. Just get the new memory and don't worry about it.

Crafty

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 10:15:59 PM »
    Thankyou for all the replies. I am going to see what it runs like with 3GB.

kamz1245

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 12:50:29 PM »
      no

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 01:57:16 PM »
      no what? And its 3.25gb

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 05:54:01 PM »
      no what? And its 3.25gb

This is innaccurate...depends on the individual system how it will be reported...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 06:01:37 PM »
      mostly what I have seen is 3.25 but I guess it could change