Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: my webcam is delayed  (Read 3269 times)

mbg19chev02

Topic Starter

Rookie

my webcam is delayed
    « on: April 15, 2009, 10:19:26 AM »
    i had purchased a web cam that has a frequency of 60hz and it is 5 m pixel ...when i talk my video that i see and others see is delayed.

are there settings i can change in windows vista for this?

if not what can i do to fix it.

the camera is brand new and has a mic built in.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: my webcam is delayed
    « Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 11:07:34 AM »
    This is known commonly as "lag"...
    Unless you and all other parties have a super fsat web connection...like the Military or Government it's gonna happen...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

kamz1245

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 12:46:29 PM »
      you can try go to the camera's make website get help or buy a new one or ur pc screen reloading is slow

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 05:55:53 PM »
      you can try go to the camera's make website get help or buy a new one or ur pc screen reloading is slow

HuH ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

mbg19chev02

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 10:43:52 AM »
        heh ok yea i have lag with it. my screen is fine heh 2 milli-second refresh and its at 75 hz...thats not the problem. my internet connection is 20 Mbit plenty fast.

the camera is the problem i think. Although i dont know where to go on vista for the video camera settings. there prob is no place for these settings other then external software.

i guess ill buy a different one. the camera was from ebay and shipped from china for only 18 dollars.

the company i believe is called " Times classic"

oh well thanks anyway

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 11:31:38 AM »
        What service are you using for video chat? If it's something like Windows Live Messenger or Yahoo Messenger, this lag is normal and there's not much you can do it about it. It also depends on your connection speed as well as the speed of the person you're sharing video with.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        « Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 11:36:28 AM »
        there are several things to be considered here.

20Mb is 20 Megabits a second.

a typical web cam  usually delivers around a res of 640*480. this is really FAR less then 5 megapixels, in fact it's a third of a megapixel- but it'll do for the comparision.

640 * 480 resolution, multiply by 32 bits (4 bytes) and you get a total storage space of 1,228,800 bytes.

This is a single frame. a conservative frames per second would be 24. so, in a single second, your webcam, at a LOW resolution of 640x480, must push 29,491,200 bytes of data to the PC every second. the PC, in turn, must push thos amount through your 20 M-bit connection.

a 20 megabit connection is 20 million bits. this is equal to 2,500,000 bytes.

Now, doing the math, we see that 20 megabits of speed is not quite fast enough- 2,500,000 versus over 29,491,200 bytes- and I was being conservative,- if your web-cam is actually set using the 5 megapixel resolution, then you'll end up with 5 million, times 4, or 20 million bytes for a single frame. multiply this by another conservative 24 frames per second to come up with the collosal 480 million bytes that your webcam, if you were to have "lag free" viewing, must push through your 2.5 million byte connection. As patio said- you need an industrial strength web connection- nothing a consumer can get. and even if you had that- that 480 million bytes is over 8 times higher then the maximum bandwidth limit for USB, which is 480 megabits.

And so you see, not only is 20 megabits not "plenty", but really it's impossible with modern technology to get "lag free" viewing of webcam images.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

manish07

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 02:10:38 AM »
          Go to google and search your camera related drivers.

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          • Certifications: List
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 02:47:07 AM »
          A cheap webcam like this is normally like this.

Try this though.

Without accessing the camera at all, jus having it connected, go into control panel and select all control panel items...there should be one either called scanners and cameras or Devices.

It should bring up your camera in a window when you double click it, and see there if it is lagg free.