Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: network printer help  (Read 2415 times)

silverbullet7808

Topic Starter

Rookie

network printer help
    « on: April 16, 2009, 12:16:47 AM »
    hi all...am facing a problem at work. there is this certain pc which is on the domain. it has windows xp installed just like the rest of the pcs on the domain. but this particular pc cannot  scan through a network xerox workcentre 24 PCL for some reason. i created a mailbox in the copier and gave a username and password. on the machine i installed the scanning utility. after installing i rebooted, then opened the utility, it said searching for printers/scanners on the network.....after that it successfully recognized the all in one xerox machine. the utility asked me to provide the username and password for the mailbox i had created in the machine, so i did. after that...it just says connection lost. i can access that mailbox from my pc, or any other pc for that matter except this particular pc. i can ping to and from this machine. i can access this machine's shared folders, i can print to the copier from this same machine as well...but for some reason, i just CANNOT scan. i have tried everything i know..the firewall is turned off as well...PLEASE HELP!

midsail

Hopeful
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: network printer help
      « Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 05:44:36 PM »
      Hello
      Check the permissions on th email box in the pc. It might be the admin has rights.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 06:04:38 PM »
      What is different about this machine?
      Does it show any other odd behavior?
      Is it very far from the router?
      Does it use the same AV programs the other do?
      Does it have the current updates?
      Is the PC newer or older that the rest?
      Different make?
      What if you create a new user account with Administrator permissions and re install the whole network stuff ib the new account?

Is this a business network?
      rie you user 2003 server for the domain?
      Is there only one router for the whole Local Network?
      Is any part of the Network wireless instead of wired Ethernet?
      Do you have a spare Ethernet card to try?
      Spare cable?
      Would it be possible to move this PC to another location?
      Or, does mother computer perform good in the same location?

silverbullet7808

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 03:16:05 AM »
        the whole network is wired..there is no wireless yet...the domain has win 2003 server..n the machine does not show any odd behavior...to be honest..its really not possible to move this pc to another location..the AV program is also the same .the pc cant access the scanner even if an admin is logged in..checked the permissions as well..there is nothing that would deny a user to access his/her mailbox nor does it deny the machine itself to access the mailbox. all the pcs are the same..there is no difference..they all have the same os. even the apps are the same. at first i thought that giving the pc a static ip would resolve the problem but no luck in that either. i have one more thing to try...n i would like ur opinions..if i logged into his pc as a domain admin..do u think it would make a difference?..am currently at a different office in a different state..so havent gotten a chance to try that out yet..but what do u guys think?? thanks...