Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Adding memory  (Read 6073 times)

beachguy

Topic Starter

Beginner

Adding memory
    « on: April 16, 2009, 11:06:27 PM »
    Hope this is an easy one:

I want to add more memory cards to my computer.  I am aware of how to do it.  This is what I need to know.  I have run an internal scan with a program called Crucial Scan.  It tells you how much and what kind of memory you presently have. 

It showed that my computer has 4 memory card slots.  Only one of them is filled.  It has one 512MB card. The mfg. is AMD Sempron, model 8 stepping 1.  The cpu speed is 1583 Mhz.

1. Can I put 3 more memory cards in this?  Would doing that overtax the system, can that happen? How about only 1 or 2 more? I don't want to add to much if that is even a factor and wipe the whole system out.  I am thinking there are 4 slots there , they must be there for a reason.

2. Should I add to the present card which is 4 yrs. old or just put in all new ones.?  Does that matter?  Are old and new usually compatable?

3. Do all of them have to be AMD or can you mix brands, does that matter?

4.  Does each have to be 512MB or could I get two new 1G cards and just use 2 cards?

I would like to put more memory in, but I don't want to harm my computer in the process.
    Thank you,  beachguy.

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Adding memory
    « Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 12:50:33 AM »
    Generally, old and new does not matter, as long as they are the same voltage and speed.

Would I be right in saying your current ram is DDR? (most like likely 266Mhz)

In that case, the types of ram you could use are:

DDR 400MHz
    DDR 333Mhz
    DDR 266Mhz

This is because RAM will always operate at the speed of the slowest stick, as a DDR 400Mhz stick is backward compatible with a 266Mhz stick and so on and so forth :)

DDR is slowly being phased out now, being replaced with DDR2, and soon to be mainstream, DDR3.

I would also recommend opening the machine and checking that there are definitely 4 slots, because sometimes the motherboard can report 4 slots, but only 2 are soldered in, or it means 4 banks, 2 slots. ( meaning both slots support double sided ram fully), and finding a motherbaord manual foryour model to check if there are size limitations or the limitations on the amount of "sides" each bank/slot can support.
    Of course there are only 2 different "sides" but some memory sticks are single sided (SS) and some are Double sided (DS)

As long as you stick to the specifications, (DDR RAM, size and sides) you will be fine :)

manish07

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 01:53:10 AM »
      You can get 2GB RAM 160GB HDD for your computer for better performance.

beachguy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 09:03:09 AM »
        Kurtiskain and manish07.

Thanks for the reply,  I will be opening the case to actually see what is in there.  When I look at the single card that is in there will /should it say what mhz it is using, what voltage, and if it is single sided or double sided?  I have quickly looked at memory cards before and the ones I saw had a small lable on them.  Does that usually contain this information or not?  Where do I look to find all this if it is not listed on the current card? and..If there are 4 slots should I fill them up? I don't want to do any damage.  Thanks again,  beachguy.

DA8686

Beginner
          « Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 10:00:26 AM »
          I would recommend checking out crucial's memory analyzer for help figuring out the best options for your computer.

beachguy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 02:21:20 PM »
             If things could only be that easy.  You are correct. Crucial Scan would give me that information, but this was a home made computer from a tech guy I use to know a while ago who has moved away.  When Crucial Scan asks for the mfg.of the computer this one is not in its list and the info. it gave me listed above, is all I it will give me.  Thank you, beachguy.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 02:32:47 PM »
            Use the online scanner...or did i miss something here ? ?
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 02:33:45 PM »
            Use the online scanner...or did i miss something here ? ?

beachguy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 03:57:56 PM »
              patio;

I'm not quite sure what you are asking me about the Crucial Scan  program?  If you use that site you can use the scanner which I have done.  Also, it seems you can get more specific information if you use their other tool which asks for the brand of computer used to get more specific info.  I can't use that tool as this is not a brand name computer (home made).  I am assuming if I could use that, it would tell me more specific information than what was already given. 

The scanner portion said: 4 memory slots, only one filled, a 512Mb AMD Sempron memory card.  I am hoping to get a few more answers to the specifics listed earlier re: how do I find out about MHz, voltage, single sided/double sided cards, how many slots to possibly fill, what brands etc.  If I can get this info, I think I can open the case, see what is in there and know what to add.  I know the memory cards just snap in and out.  Just using their scanner does not tell me how many to add, what suggested brand,  suggested  size, or anything else.
              Thanks again,   beachguy.

lectrocrew

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • My first self-built computer
              • Certifications: List
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Familiar
              « Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 04:33:06 PM »
              I can't use that tool as this is not a brand name computer (home made).  I am assuming if I could use that, it would tell me more specific information than what was already given. 

Just curious. In control panel, when you click 'SYSTEM', what does yours say beside "Manufacturer" and "Model"?

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 05:36:02 PM »
              You can DLoad and install Everest Home for a more comprehensive list of your PC's components...

beachguy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 07:08:21 PM »
                Going to Control Panel>System only listed this:  AMD Sempron,  there is no model or mfg. listed.

I think I hit the mother load though when I went to Everrest Home and downloaded their program.  This what their diognostic found on my computer re. memory:

Memory Devise Description: Kingston K

Module type: unbuffered

Memory Type: DDR SDRAM

Module Size:  2 ranks/4banks

Memory Speed: PC3200/200MHz

Module Width: 64 bit

Module Voltage:  SSTL 2.5

Diognostic suggestion:  more memory can be added.

With this info.  what can be added to this computer and should I stay with Kingston K?  Does 2 ranks/4banks mean one more double sided card similiar to what is in their now can be added?  From these details what else do I need to know?

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 07:32:43 PM »
                It will take up to 4 sticks of the speeds/type listed...
                How much capacity will be determined by the MBoard itself.
                Did Everest list the motherboard ? ?
                If so you can DLoad the manual from the manuf. site...

beachguy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 08:07:10 PM »
                  Thanks again,  yes it did mention the name of the mother board and I will go to their site next.   beachguy.

beachguy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 10:48:09 PM »
                    The motherboard is a Foxconn(SIS 741-6A718FK9C-00---discontinued) and the diagnostics indicate it can hold 2G of memory. I will compare what is in the computer now and please advise if what I am planning to do will work and keep everything running ok and especially not destroy it.

Currently: 1 Kingston K  DIMM1 memory card 512MB (Don't know if this is a single sided or double sided card--how important is that?)
                    Memory Type: DDR SDRAM
                    Memory Speed: PC3200/  200 MHz
                    Module width:64 bit
                    Module Size: 2ranks/4Banks
                    Module voltage: SSTL 2.5

What I would like to do:
                    Remove current  memory card.

Insert 2 Kingston K memory cards= 2G total
                    Memory type: DDR
                    Memory Size: 1024 MB
                    Total Memory Size: 1G each
                    Memory Speed: PC3200
                    Memory Speed : MHz 400 each ** (currently ony 200MHz with one card -will this cause any problem)?
                    Memory Channel: dual ( does this mean duel sided card?)
                    Memory Socket: DIMM
                    Memory CAS Latency 3
                    Pins:184
                    Module voltage: 2.6 (current card 2.5 volts, will 2.6 volts work?)

I think that is pretty much it.  Will this work, is it ok to do this?  If not any suggestions?  It seemed better to buy (2) 1G cards rather than (3) or (4) 512MB cards.  Am I ok in thinking this way? Or if I load it up to the max on a 4 year system will it overload, over heat, short out or can't any of those things happen with just adding memory? I know how to replace the cards, but this is the 1st time I will be doing it, and I don't want to screw this up.
                    Thank you,  beachguy.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 12:16:06 PM by beachguy »