Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP domain??  (Read 4421 times)

Dave1220

Windows XP domain??
« on: May 11, 2005, 02:18:10 PM »
I have searched and nothing can answer me for certain but I would like to know if I can use XP professional to set up a domain?  I dont want to have to purchase Server 2003 or anything like that.  I did read though that maybe Windows 2000 professional can be used as a domain controller.  Not for sure though.

merlin_2

Re: Windows XP domain??
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 02:41:04 PM »

gussery

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 02:42:59 PM »
The answer is No.  XP can participate in a domain but it cannot be the domain controller and every domain must have a controller.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 06:36:14 PM »
Gussery is correct.  

You may, however, set up a peer-to-peer Local Area Network (LAN) with one Windows XP acting as a Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) server.  The other computers in your LAN will then be able to share a connection to the Internet through this server (as long as they have Windows 98 SE or a later version of Windows installed).  The nodes on your LAN would have to be connected through an inexpensive hub, network interface cards (NICs), and CAT 5 or 6 cables.

Regards,
Doc  
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 06:39:12 PM by pcdoc4christ »