Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Something I'm not understanding  (Read 5131 times)

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
  • Experience: Familiar
Something I'm not understanding
« on: April 17, 2009, 10:29:37 AM »
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I wasn't sure since the thing I'm trying to do has to do with the browser. Trying to understand some instructions at Microsoft site http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299824
on opening Powerpoint presentation through the webbrowser. There are some instructions at the bottom of the page that I'm trying to understand. It's on
editing things with the registry. I'm not even sure exactly where the registry is
located either. 
Here are the instructions and then I'll tell what I'm not understanding-
Change Default Mode of Opening Presentations
Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ ) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

You can add a registry key that controls how a PowerPoint presentation is opened by a hyperlink or from the Address box in a Web browser. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
   2. Locate and click the following key in the registry:
      HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PowerPoint.Show.8
   3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry value:
      Value name: BrowserFlags
      Data type: REG_DWORD
      Radix: click Hexadecimal
      Value data: a
   4. Quit Registry Editor.

The value of a causes the presentation to be opened in edit mode. The value of 8 causes the presentation to be opened in a new window in show mode. The value of 0 or the absence of this registry key causes the presentation to be opened in the browser window in show mode.

What I'm not understanding
On Step #3 where it's saying to add the following, are they trying to say I need to type out Value name:
or do I just type out what is after the :
So like do I just type out Browserflags
or do I need to type the whole thing? Value name: Browserflags

Thanks,
Amy

Metal Messiah

Beginner
    Re: Something I'm not understanding
    « Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 07:28:52 AM »
    Hi Amy,

Could you tell us what it was you were trying to do that caused you to look for support please? 

Are you just trying to open a powerpoint presentation in your internet browser?

If so can you tell us what browser you are using please (ie..Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, etc..) ?

Could you also let us know what version of the browser it is that you are using.  You can do this by clicking on help in the menu bar at the top.  Once the dropdown menu appears click on "About Internet Explorer", this message will differ depending on the browser you are using but it will start with the word "About".

Many thanks!

Regards,
    MM
    The time is near
    The day has dawned
    Be prepared
    For what's to come.... Metal Messiah

From a Judas Priest song, guest where took my name from

milesman

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 08:21:13 AM »
      Amy, you only need to type "Browserflags". But I suggest telling what you were trying to so. For example something to do with your browser.  8)
      (| Cha Cha Cha!

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      • Hi Everyone!!
        • Funtrivia
      « Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 02:16:56 PM »
      Hi,
      Yes, I'm trying to open the PowerPoint presentation in the browser.
      I took an online computer class at the college here a few years ago called Computer Concepts and Applications, and the assignments we did said we could open it in browser and we can see how it looks as a website.
      I'm using my mom's computer at the moment due to all the problems mine is having at the moment due to spyware and all. I have a friend who is helping me with it. He is going to help me wipe out the hard drive and then get everything working again and the internet set back up and stuff like that.
      Anyways, her computer the browser that is working the best at the moment is Mozilla and it says it's  Firefox 3.0.8 but then also in that same box or screen near the bottom it says other things Mozilla/5.0(Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8

She also has Internet Explorer but it isn't working right anymore due to spyware that keeps popping up this screen and trying to sell us some type of Virus thing. So, no way to use it anymore at the moment with what is going on.

The only other things I get confused about at times too is what format to save the documents in. Like when I go up to file and then save as, in the section that says Save as type:
      It has a list of several things-
      Presentation (*.ppt)
      Single File Web Page (*.mht; *.mhtml)
      Web Page(*.htm; *.html)
      PowerPoint 95 (*.ppt)
      PowerPoint 97-2003 & 95 Presentation (*.ppt)
      Design Template(*.pot)
      PowerPoint Show(*.pps)
      PowerPoint Add-In(*.ppa)
      GIF Graphics Interchange Format (*.gif)
      JPEG File Interchange Format(*.jpg)
      PNG Portable Network Graphics Format(*.png)
      TIFF Tag Image File Format(*.tif)
      Device Independent Bitmap(*.bmp)
      Windows Metafile(*.wmf)
      Enhanced Windows Metafile(*.emf)
      Outline/RTF (*.rtf)

I'm never exactly sure what to save things as. I even get confused too when scanning images with my scanner what extension to give it? Like .gif or .jpg?
      It seems if I put .tif for an extension then when I try and open it in my browser, it wont work right.

milesman

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 02:18:59 PM »
        .ppt is the current powerpoint extension. Use that one.  ;D
        (| Cha Cha Cha!

Broni

Mastermind
        • Kraków my love :)
          • Computer Help Forum
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 02:23:43 PM »

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        • Hi Everyone!!
          • Funtrivia
        « Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 08:35:59 PM »
        Not sure if I'm understanding this. Will it allow me to view it through browser as a web page? Or do I need to just save it as web page?
        I also changed it back to a .ppt extension, but the only thing I don't understand is it seems if I put it as .ppt then there is no way to publish it as a web page.
        So, if I wanted to use it for my web page, then don't I need to save it as web page?
        meaning with an .html extension?
        The only other thing I'm trying to understand too is if I click on the save as web page option, it tries to save it in the my documents folder. Is that the correct folder to put it in? See, it's using my mom's computer. I guess the other thing too I'm trying to understand is that if I put it in that my documents folder, could that cause us to get hacked or anything. I'm really scared about all that stuff since we keep having so many problems with all that stuff and don't understand all this stuff very well on how to protect things.

milesman

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 10:36:53 AM »
          Yes. You need to save it as HTML or HTM(Which Ever). That should work but you also need the powerpoint viewer.
          (| Cha Cha Cha!