Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My connection "times out"  (Read 4200 times)

MarleneD

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    My connection "times out"
    « on: May 10, 2005, 07:50:27 PM »
    Why does it do that??? After I log off for an hour or so (or even less) and come back to connect to the internet, I can't.  I have to re-start the computer and then I get a connection.  Why is this happening so often?
    I have a cable connection and all the correct lights on the modem are blinking green.  My OS is Mellinium.  Could it be the cheap modem (RCA)? Please help!

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: My connection "times out"
    « Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 06:11:59 AM »
    Windows ME.... Oh god... Well, lets start with the simple stuff here then... Do you have virus and spyware protection? Have you made any changes to your system lately?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

MarleneD

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      « Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 09:00:46 AM »
      Yeah, I've noticed that Windows ME gets that reaction.
      Yes, I do have virus (McAfee) and spyware protection.  I did recently (a month ago or so) have problems where I had to extract files from the ME CD that were corrupted.  My guess is that my son went to a games website and maybe downloaded something "bad".  It took me about 4 days to straighten everything out.  These files were 2 .dll . I can't remember the exact files but they must have been very important because without them I couldn't get on the internet and I couldn't run any programs, not even my virus scan.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 09:26:40 AM »
      Well, downloading something "bad" should not be too much of an issue if you have rpotection... Maybe he deleted something important from My Computer? Also, try contacting your Internet Serice Provider (ISP) for support... They might be able to point something extra out...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 03:51:53 PM »
      check firewalls........check isp.......for broadband restrict time..do you do alot of downloads.......why do you log off??dump mcfee.........

MarleneD

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 08:31:26 AM »
        Dump McAfee???  Why? What do you reccomend instead? Norton?  I do intend to check the isp but, I'm not sure what you mean by the restrict time? When I say "log off" I click on the upper corner "X" to close the internet window.  I understand that I'm still technically connected.  If nothing else works then I will probably get a new modem.  I'm thinking of getting a new computer anyway.
        Thanks for all the advice.

blue_caddy

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2005, 09:08:37 PM »
        i agree dump the mac  norton is a world above it and while your at it upgrade that comp to xp if it can run me it will run xp much better os with no problems this machine had me on it wene it was new but was having way too many problems crashing  hack ive even got xp running on a p2 running at only 450 mhz with 256 mbs of ram so the best thing you can do the cheapest way is get the new os and norton system works and viruse protection and it will be cheaper then new comp  

MarleneD

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
          « Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 08:14:04 PM »
          Hmmm....install Windows XP.  This appeals to me.  Do I have to uninstall Windows ME in order to install Windows XP?  Could I intall right on top of ME?  What would happen to my files?  outlook address book?
          Advice is greatly appreciated.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 04:44:07 PM »
          1.  Do I have to uninstall Windows ME in order to install Windows XP?  
          2.  Could I intall right on top of ME?  
          3.  What would happen to my files?  outlook address book?
          4.  Advice is greatly appreciated.

1.  No.
          2.  Yes.
          3.  Nothing.
          4.  Norton--McAfee, they're about the same.  I've started to switch over to AVG.  It's a winner!!  BTW, the problem is not the cable modem, they either work or they don't, they might be slow, if the ISP's modem configuration file is corrupted.

MarleneD

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
            « Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 09:24:30 PM »
            Thanks so much for all the advice.  You guys rock! :-*

merlin_2

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2005, 03:08:15 PM »
            contact your isp............cable user........even by upgrading to winxp may NOT solve the problem?
            What is the make and  model of your pc?/more info on cable..........is it a usb modem..........