Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help with fixin Anti Virus problems!!  (Read 4702 times)

wgreen584

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Help with fixin Anti Virus problems!!
    « on: April 18, 2009, 03:48:47 PM »
    Hey y'all, Billy here, and I am a newbie but here's my particulars as best that I know them.
    Using Win XP Ver 5.1
    Custom puter, (step dad built)
    Not sure of my speed, memory and all of that
    My problem is as follows: I'm a firefighter/medic, so I'm gone a lot. Yesterday, the wife says she "can't get online, do bills or anything sue to excessive pop ups and some Anti Virus crap." I told her to DC from internet, and shut it down. Usually, I am pretty good at stumbling my way into fixing these types of problems, but not this one. Upon booting up puter, I got several messages. 1st was something regarding Shockwave flash VS.3 . The next is Trojan.win32.Agent..a254
    . Then a new icon showed up on the desk top. So after on line searching, I was told to remove the antivir software and install drive sentry. Then when i tried getting on the Internet, I received a page saying this page is blocked. The icon that was new on the desk top and the tool bar, was for Personal Anti Virus, or pav.exe
    . Tried to figure out what this program was and did. It was apparently downloaded by the wife the day before, accidentally, she swears that she didn't dl anything. So I tried to uninstall this "new" antivirus software to no avail. Using my blackberry, I did some research, to find that the pav.exe is linked to AntiVir, and to remove that program and dl a different one. Went to remove software, hit remove, required reboot to take affect, and bammm!! It's still there, and I keep getting this message, "Setup could not determine the feature control file or was not able to read it correctly"! I cannot dl a better antivirus.  now! So I go to last good start up, dated 2 days before when I knew there were no problems, rebooted with that date, and internet explorer problems are gone, but still have AntiVir and can't get rid of it to dl a better one!!!
    Help me please!!!!!!!

Thank you,
    BG

Wow that was too long!   

harry 48

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Dribbling Pensioner
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Help with fixin Anti Virus problems!!
    « Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 04:12:00 PM »
    http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html

go to above and post the 3 logs an expert will see them , harry

wgreen584

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 04:33:58 PM »
      Sorry, I don't understand. What 3 logs are you talking about?

wgreen584

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 04:36:20 PM »
        Harry,
        I have Service pack 3. This much I understood. Do I need to keep following the instructions?
        Thanks for the reply!

wgreen584

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 04:50:02 PM »
          Just read the bumping. Everyone will have to understand that I am very new at this.
          I cannot down load another Anti Virus software. I had AntiVir, but was told to remove it. I tried to remove it, but can't. And I can't use it either. I keep getting this message: Set up could not determine the feature control file or was not able to read it correctly" .
          I was trying to download "Drive Sentry" because I was told it worked very well. And due to the AntiVir software still being on my pc, and the fact that I cannot remove it, or use it for that matter, I am stuck with NO anti virus software!

And thank you very much to the Experts that are taking if their time to help me! I really appreciate it!!

sanmil0963

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 05:32:01 PM »
            If you follow the link that harry 48 suggested and follow those instructions, ea of the programs will give you a log. They need this to see what is effecting your computer in order to help you remove the virus. It's time comsuming and frustrating, but it will help.

wgreen584

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 03:29:58 AM »
              Ok, I've done all of it. I'm exhausted and going to crash for a while. I attached the logs as requested. I hope that we a re getting close. Thanks again everyone!
              BG

[attachment deleted by admin]

harry 48

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • Dribbling Pensioner
              • Certifications: List
              • Experience: Familiar
              « Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 07:08:01 AM »
              ok wgreen 584, i'm only here to help you , an expert will look at them and you will here from him , harry
              « Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 11:23:21 AM by harry 48 »