Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vista Help... Can YOU solve the mystery?  (Read 3646 times)

XP4Life

Topic Starter

Starter

Vista Help... Can YOU solve the mystery?
    « on: April 19, 2009, 09:52:48 AM »
    Hopefully someone can help me.

My parents have this brand new computer, a Dell with Vista.  When they got it, we tried hooking it to the internet and it wouldn't find a connection, turns out, the modem was bad.  So, they got a new modem.  Now they can GET online, but it is very S-L-O-W/hesitant.  It will show certian pages sometimes, and then sometimes, it will say "cannot display" the page another time.  Like, we watched a video on YouTube, and when we tried again, it said, "cannot display page".  Strangely, if you search from the "Windows Live" toolbar or the address bar, it's S-L-O-W or won't "display", but when searching from Google, it's slightly faster, but still lags.  Comcast thinks it is our security settings, and they had us try and change them, but it still lags.

Funny thing is, when I hook up to the modem with my notebook with XP, it runs perfectly o ???n that internet connection.

Comcast also thinks it's McAfee, but my notebook has the exact same McAfee and as I said, I was running fine. 

What else could it be?

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Vista Help... Can YOU solve the mystery?
    « Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 10:42:58 AM »
    Hopefully someone can help me.

My parents have this brand new computer, a Dell with Vista.  When they got it, we tried hooking it to the internet and it wouldn't find a connection, turns out, the modem was bad.  So, they got a new modem.  Now they can GET online, but it is very S-L-O-W/hesitant.  It will show certian pages sometimes, and then sometimes, it will say "cannot display" the page another time.  Like, we watched a video on YouTube, and when we tried again, it said, "cannot display page".  Strangely, if you search from the "Windows Live" toolbar or the address bar, it's S-L-O-W or won't "display", but when searching from Google, it's slightly faster, but still lags.  Comcast thinks it is our security settings, and they had us try and change them, but it still lags.

Funny thing is, when I hook up to the modem with my notebook with XP, it runs perfectly o ???n that internet connection.

Comcast also thinks it's McAfee, but my notebook has the exact same McAfee and as I said, I was running fine. 

What else could it be?

Press CTRL+ALT+DEL and check how many running processes you have.
    Where's MagicSpeed?
    Quote from: 'matt'
    He's playing a game called IRL. Great graphics, *censored* gameplay.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 11:57:30 AM »
    Travel Here   and run the online speed test.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 02:33:22 PM »
    Also...
    What browser, version?
    Did you try another browser?