Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HELP WITH DOWNLOADING A GAME  (Read 11830 times)

cosmos

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: HELP WITH DOWNLOADING A GAME
    « Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 07:09:22 AM »
    Thank you for the info.
    I will try formatting the floppy.

Thanx again!

cosmos ( Brandy)

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 02:30:44 AM »
    Formatting it will erase everything on the disk... is that what you intend to do?

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2009, 04:39:15 AM »
      Its so he has a good copy of it and in case the floppy is at fault.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Tonman

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2009, 02:58:44 PM »
        By formatting the floopy you'll be erasing your game.   
        If you're getting a message saying your A drive is full when you try to install the game, maybe you should try something like   "A:\install c:"

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2009, 04:47:15 AM »
          did you read the above post?
          Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

quaxo

Guru
            • Yes
          « Reply #20 on: May 04, 2009, 11:22:16 AM »
          did you read the above post?

Did you read this?

I have purchased  three of  these games in case they got  corrupted and I have gotten the same results wit all three.

Where's this good copy you're talking about, Squall? Think before you tell someone to just format a disk to fix a problem.

Cosmos, since you're experiencing the same thing with all the disks, it might be your floppy drive. Do you have any other disks you could pop in and see if you can read them ok?

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2009, 11:36:19 AM »
            I did think, I wanted him to check the floppy before ruleing out anything else.

quaxo

Guru
              • Yes
            « Reply #22 on: May 04, 2009, 11:57:24 AM »
            I did think, I wanted him to check the floppy before ruleing out anything else.

Multiple floppies are having the same problem. Formatting one of them isn't likely going to fix the problem. There is no 'good copy' at this point it seems and you shouldn't tell people to just format something because it isn't working properly. If Cosmos is experiencing the same issue with ALL of the disks, either ALL of the disks are bad, or the drive is bad. Formatting one disk will prove nothing other than that you've had them erase what could actually be potentially good data because of a bad drive. The drive is the first thing that should be checked when you're having multiple failures with several disks.

Cosmos, hopefully you haven't followed that advice and formatted anything. Like I said before, I suggest you try some other disks in your computer and see if they work, or test these floppies in another computer's A: drive and see if they work there. That's the best course of action at this point. Formatting any one of the disks and erasing all of the data on them should be a last resort.

cosmos

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2009, 09:21:19 AM »
              Hi all, thank you fro your responses, sorry I have not posted, I have been feeling under the weather but I'm doing better now.
              I have not formatted none of the disks. I think they might be damaged or Apogee has been sending me damage disks.
              However, since I really want to get the
              game working on my PC I'm going to buy 2 more. They are not too expensive since they are old games.
              I will keep in tough!

cosmos (Brandy)

quaxo

Guru
                • Yes
              « Reply #24 on: May 10, 2009, 10:38:34 AM »
              Have you tried them in another computer? Like I said, sounds like your drive might be bad.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2009, 02:10:58 PM »
                that is sounding more probable

Mulreay

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2009, 07:19:12 PM »
                try typing a: not a:\ but also as quaxo said you may need dosbox if so I can give you a guide on how to use plus any further help you may need.

cosmos

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2009, 08:42:35 AM »
                  Hi all, well I did downloaded dosbox but that's all. I don't know how to use it.
                  As for the a drive I've tried A:\ A:/ I also tried the a:\ c install but still nothing.
                  I have not tried to install the game on another computer.
                  If my A drive is full, which I don't know how that's possible how can I empty it?

cosmos ( Brandy )

Mulreay

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2009, 08:58:35 AM »
                  DOSBox is an emulator that recreates a MS-DOS compatible environment (complete with Sound, Input, Graphics and even basic networking). This environment is complete enough to run many classic MS-DOS games completely unmodified. In order to utilize all of DOSBox's features you need to first understand some basic concepts about the MS-DOS environment.
                  Drives
                  Sound
                  Display
                  Input
                  Connectivity (Modems/Networking)

Installation
                  The first step is to install DOSBox. This guide will use the 0.72 Windows 32 version which is available for download. Download the release for your operating system. If you are a Windows user, get the Win32 installer.
                  After downloading, install DOSBox to any directory. Also, make a folder to put all your old games in. I put DOSBox in C:\DOSBox, and my old games directory is C:\OLDGAMES. I put a game in my OLDGAMES directory, TESTDRIV, which is Test Drive, an old racing game. Your directories should look like this:

Running a game
                  Now, the hardest part, getting games to run. First, run dosbox.exe in your DOSBox folder. Remember that OLDGAMES directory you created in Step 1? You have to basically set that as new directory just for DOSBox. Essentially, it's going to become the C:\> drive of DOSBox. So, type:
                  Z:\>MOUNT C C:\OLDGAMES
                  Drive C mounted as local directory C:\OLDGAMES\
                  To dissect the above:
                  MOUNT: Tells the program to mount a directory
                  C: Tells the program what you want your new drive to be called (leaving it as C: is fine)
                  C:\OLDGAMES: This is the directory I want to set as the new drive for DOSBox, because all my games are in it. If you created a different directory, write in the directory you created.
                  (Note: If you want to mount a CD-ROM instead of a folder, type this:
                  Z:\>MOUNT D D:\ -t cdrom
                  MSCDEX installed.
                  Drive D is mounted as CDRom D:\
                  (Note: "cdrom" is case sensitive and must be lowercase!)
                  In this example, D:\ -T cdrom tells DOSBox that my D:\ drive is a CD-ROM drive, and the first D, tells DOSBox what my new drive name should be called. If you are running your game off a CD-ROM then make sure to use D: in place of C: in the following examples. You can find instructions on how to mount other devices, such as floppy drives, in the mount section).
                  After you've done this, you will be prompted with a Z:\>. Now, just write what you wanted to call your new DOSBox drive, which as I said above, we called C. To navigate to that newly mounted drive just type in:
                  Z:\>C:

C:\>
                  Hopefully, you're all set! Now, it's time to run the game. Previously I had mentioned a game called TESTDRIV in my OLDGAMES folder. I now want DOSBox to go to that folder. So type in:
                  C:\>CD TESTDRIV

C:\TESTDRIV>
                  That's it! CD stands for "Change Directory", so you've changed the directory to TESTDRIV. You can find instructions on how to use the Change Directory command, in the CD section of the Commands article.
                  One more step, running the game! Most games have an EXE file in their directory that you can run. However, some might require a BAT file, or COM file (common in demos and really old games). Most of the time, the file is in the root folder. Please consult the documentation of your game for which file is needed to start the game. In the case of Test Drive, it's TDCGA.EXE. So now, I just type this:
                  C:\TESTDRIV>TDCGA.EXE
                  That's it! Here's a picture of all of the commands I've written about in Step 2:

Alternate methods for running a game
                  The steps described above are closely aligned with how DOS Based operating systems behave natively. However modern operating system allow for more user friendly (although less authentic) ways of playing your favorite games. If the steps above seem tedious or confusing you can try some of these other guides. In most cases these guides will still require you to setup a working DOSBox environment.
                  Using Frontends
                  Creating desktop shortcuts
                  in Microsoft Windows
                  in Apple OSX
                  in Linux GNOME
                  NOTE: If you have problems with launching the game, unrecognizable errors being spit out, saving settings, or having the game drop out while running it, one thing to try is to make sure all the files are not set to Read Only. In Windows, select the folder of the game, right click and hit properties, uncheck Read Only if it is checked, and apply to all sub folders.
                  If you have other errors, please search the forums first before posting a question.

Performance
                  Yay, you've gotten your game to run! But maybe you're experiencing slowdown? How do you fix this? With the following commands:
                  CTRL+F7 = Decreases frameskip
                  CTRL+F8 = Increases Frameskip
                  CTRL+F11 = Slows down the game
                  CTRL+F12 = Speeds up the game
                  Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to open the Task Manager, and click the Performance tab. Start by pressing CTRL+F12 until your CPU Usage level begins to go above 95%. After that, if you still need a performance boost, hit CTRL+F8 to have DOSBox not render some frames. The console window will display all of the changes you've made, and the top of the game window will display the current settings. Adjust these settings as needed until your game goes smoothly. Please keep in mind that not all games will run smoothly on DOSBox.

Other Useful features

Quick start
                  You can save yourself some time by having DOSBox automatically MOUNT your folders and change the drive to C:. In original DOS based operating systems a file called AUTOEXEC.BAT contained any commands that the user wanted executed every time the computer booted up. This functionality is simulated by the [autoexec] section of the dosbox.conf file.
                  Open the dosbox.conf file in any text editor (in Windows you can use Notepad), scroll down to the very end, and add these lines:
                  MOUNT C C:\OLDGAMES
                  C:
                  Now those commands will be executed automatically when starting! If you're having trouble with that, make sure it looks like this (look at the bottom):

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2009, 09:35:41 AM »
                    dos box is just a little gui for it.  Much like windows 3.1 I think.  Floppies are separte storage but its possible to fill easily.