Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Setting Microsoft Word Margin Defaults Across a Network  (Read 3858 times)

Zylstra

Topic Starter

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Setting Microsoft Word Margin Defaults Across a Network
« on: April 20, 2009, 07:48:18 PM »
Objective:
To set up a default margin of 0.3 for the top, bottom, left and right margins.
This is to conserve paper. My school is running far far short of funding for paper, in fact, we already hit the end of our paper budget, and its an extreme problem.

Cutting margins by default would help us out greatly. We would like to know how we can set up these kinds of defaults, erase currently existing defaults, and then distribute the new ones.

We have an idea of distributing the new ones, and that is by using our Ghost server which is capable of sending files to the select groups of computers we desire. (Which, is all student computers, not teacher laptops or computers).

I prefer not having to do this through GPO, since I know I cant get the network guys to do it, but, if thats the only solution, I can make it happen... even if it requires I break into the server room and do it myself.

Operating systems being dealt with:
Windows XP, primarily, as well as a few 2000 machines. Main focus on the XP machines.

Users do need to be able to change margins, for professional documents mainly. The best part about Ghost doing all this would be that we can just target student computers, not teacher computers.

BumFacer

Rookie

• Its not the things they say, its what they whisper
    Re: Setting Microsoft Word Margin Defaults Across a Network
    « Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 07:03:35 AM »
    You need to do this in Group Policy, especially so that you can limit this to students, not teachers.  In our schools we have written our own Print Auditor/Limiter based on Windows Print Server but it basically operates like this commercially available package:

http://www.pharos.com/Higher_Education/Uniprint.html

Zylstra

Topic Starter

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Setting Microsoft Word Margin Defaults Across a Network
    « Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 06:37:33 PM »
    We do want students to be able to change their margins if they need to print a professional letters and scholarships. Would that still work?

It would be a problem to have to buy software though, this is for two reasons:
    1, Were out of money for everything!
    2, Even if we did have the money, it wouldent all make sense to anyone in Administration here.