Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Browser doesnt do anything  (Read 3836 times)

TChai

Topic Starter

Rookie

Browser doesnt do anything
    « on: April 08, 2009, 08:30:00 AM »
    Hi folks

I have a WIN Xp home edition plateform computer which IE or Firefox cannot browse anything.
    Both browser works fine but it cant seem to be able to connect to any website, when i type in www.google.com it load up as blank screen on FireFox and on IE it just show up a page where it would normally show up as when you are not connected to Internet.

I tried this:
    Updating IE
    Reinstalled IE + FireFox
    Resetting the setting to defaults

It still doesnt work!

I know that my internet is working because i have updated my virus scanner and it was downloading fine.
    I think is something about port number 80 which works with internet browser

Thank You

Metal Messiah

Beginner
      Re: Browser doesnt do anything
      « Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 04:41:46 PM »
      Please try going in to the areas below :

If you have just uninstalled and re-installed try rebooting the PC first before checking the below options.

Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > right click on your network connection and click properties> left click on “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)” to highlight this then click properties, just below and to the right.  This is to make sure that the button for “Obtain an IP address Automatically” has a dot in there, as if it's for home you should get your IP from your internet service provider.

If it does do the following

Open internet explorer and go to

Tools > Internet Options > click on the tab that says “Connections” > down the bottom click “LAN settings”  If there is a tick in the box that says “automatically detect settings” take this out.  Sometimes this can play havoc and sometimes it helps, it’s just one of those things I’ve found.

You could also uninstall Firefox, then restart the computer.  Open up IE (if it’s IE7) go to

Tools > Internet Options > click the “Programs” tab > down the near the bottom you will see the check box to make IE your default browser > make it your default browser and restart the PC. 

If this works you can then re-install Firefox, make sure it’s the latest version though

http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/

Let me know how you get on  :)

Rgds,
      MM
      The time is near
      The day has dawned
      Be prepared
      For what's to come.... Metal Messiah

From a Judas Priest song, guest where took my name from

TChai

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 01:09:31 PM »
        I already try all that!

I notice that when i go to Wireless Network Connection in Advanced tab, it doesnt show anything! It says

Windows cannot display the properties of this connection. The Windows Management Instrumentation(WMI) information might be corrupted. To correct this, use System Restore is located in the system Tools folder in accessories.

I cant use system restore because the problem occurs beyond the restore point.
        I did had a malware that was causing that problem but i got rid of it but the setting is changed.

I also notice that in my internet options in Connections i dont have a network listed in dial-up and virtual private network setting, does this effect my browser?

Metal Messiah

Beginner
          « Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 02:22:02 PM »

Hi there,

I just need to ask a couple of questions so I'm clear in my head.  I should have asked these first.... my bad.

Is it a PC or laptop you are using (asking this as you mentioned wireless) ?

If it's a PC how does your PC connect (normally) to the internet, meaning does the PC have a network cable (ethernet) connected from the PC to a cable modem?

To answer your question... No, there should be nothing in the "dial-up and Virtual Private Network Settings", unless you are trying to work from home that is / or you have a dial up connection.  Working from home would require you to have a VPN (virtual privicy network) connection if that's what you're trying to do.  If so let me know please.

Just on the off chance, your not using anything like zonealarm or the like?  If you are you check to make sure that the internet lock is not on, as this will stop all network traffic going out or in on the machine in question.

Rgds,
          MM :)

The time is near
          The day has dawned
          Be prepared

Metal Messiah

Beginner
            « Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 02:27:34 PM »
            Me again,

Can you let me know what version of IE you're using please?

"I cant use system restore because the problem occurs beyond the restore point.
            I did had a malware that was causing that problem but i got rid of it but the setting is changed."

To which setting are you referring to please?

Thanks,
            MM
            The time is near
            The day has dawned
            Be prepared

TChai

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 10:40:47 AM »
              I just need to ask a couple of questions so I'm clear in my head.  I should have asked these first.... my bad.

Ok no probs
              Is it a PC or laptop you are using (asking this as you mentioned wireless) ?

I a PC that uses Zoom wireless adapter
              If it's a PC how does your PC connect (normally) to the internet, meaning does the PC have a network cable (ethernet) connected from the PC to a cable modem?

Is connected using USB port i had to install driver software that came with it.
              For a start i have no network connection (network card install) because i cant find a driver for it (the network card is embeded to motherboard). This doesnt mean that i cant browse internet because i have not networkcard!

Just on the off chance, your not using anything like zonealarm or the like?  If you are you check to make sure that the internet lock is not on, as this will stop all network traffic going out or in on the machine in question.
              I have none of those software not even anti virus but i have system machanic and trojan remover!
              I heard of internet lock but i didnt know there is a setting in windows that enables it. (well disabling network connection is one of it). Well i have internet ofcause and i can download by knowing that i can update my software without no problems.

I am using the latest IE

What i mean by setting is that things is changed! such as i cant browser the web!

Thank you

TChai

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 12:57:58 PM »
                There must be something that you lot could do, all i know is that one day i turn my computer on that i lefted for 5 to 6 days off. Then my browser is not working! I am sure that the malware was causing it but i have deleted them but the browser is not working anymore!!!

Metal Messiah

Beginner
                  « Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 02:07:43 PM »
                  There must be something that you lot could do, all i know is that one day i turn my computer on that i lefted for 5 to 6 days off. Then my browser is not working! I am sure that the malware was causing it but i have deleted them but the browser is not working anymore!!!

It sounds like the malware problem could still be there.  You never answered any of my questions in the last post, so I'm going to refer you to the link below.  I know it must be frustrating, also that you've tried some of what I've suggested and it's not worked out a resolution thus far.  Sometimes with problems there is no quick fix.  I hope if you follow the instructions here it will get things back up and running.

I'll throw this one out in the chat room and see if any of the others can lend a hand.

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html

Kind regards,
                  MM
                  The time is near
                  The day has dawned
                  Be prepared