Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: After several power surges on Monday, computer does not log into Window  (Read 2850 times)

valbuch

Hi Everyone

I need some help.  After several power surges, my computer starts giving me the error, Hal.dll is missing or corrupt.  My computer would not boot into any of the safemode options.  After research, I logged into the recovery console and I tried to replace the file from the installation disk by using the following command:

expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll

This did not work for me.  It gave me another error "Unable to create file hal.dll"

Next I looked at my boot.ini using the command bootcfg \list

Total entries in boot list: 1
                         [1]  "Microsoft Windows XP Professional"
                         OS Load Options: /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
                         OS Location: c:\Windows

It seemed okay but following the microsoft support site I decided to rebuild my boot.

I did bootcfg \rebuild

After several moments it prompted me to add installation to boot list.  I type "Y" and press <enter>
Next:

Enter Load Identifier:   I entered  "Microsoft Windows XP Professional"
    Enter OS Load options:  I entered /fastdetect

but then I typed exit and pressed enter according to the instructions and I exited from the Recovery console and the computer started to reboot. It prompted for the operating system, (It now had windows xp pro listed twice"  but the original error is still there, no change.

I went back into the recovery console .  Should I try to do fixboot or fixmbr or could someone suggest something else. 

I am trying not to lose my data.  I have not backed up in a while.

thanks for your help

squall_01

Prodigy

You cant do a reapir from the disk?
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced