Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Resize cells in Excel  (Read 2380 times)

slambos2500

Topic Starter

Rookie

Resize cells in Excel
    « on: April 26, 2009, 08:08:36 PM »

Hi Everybody

I  am working on a spread sheet in Microsoft Excel 2003.  Column A  the cell is to small  to type the information “computer information” so I went to  Format, Cells and then to wrap so “computer information is  now in one cell.  Now the cells B contains dates and.C will contain numbers only and there is no need to wrap any information.

Now I would like to sort this information by date.  I then hilite all the information go to Data, Sort by column B.  I get this message:

THIS OPERATION REQUIRES THE MERGED CELLS TO BE                        IDENTICALLY SIZED

Since Column A is larger the rest of the columns.   How can I sort the information??

Thank you 

lostcoast

Hopeful
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Resize cells in Excel
    « Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 08:26:33 PM »

This is not a windows issue. please try to post in the correct heading in the future.
    I am  Moderator of Computerhope Chat, for live help and assistance please use/click Free Help in the upper forum toolbar.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 08:32:08 PM »
    What this is indicating is that somewhere in your sheet you've merged two or more cells into one and has nothing to do with the width of column A. In order to be sorted, merged cells must be identical in alignment (for example, you can't sort if there is a merged cell in columns A & B and B & C in different rows) and identical in size.

Dias de verano

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 11:40:45 PM »
    This is not a windows issue. please try to post in the correct heading in the future.

I must have missed you becoming a moderator. When did that happen?

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 09:20:59 AM »
    I  am working on a spread sheet in Microsoft Excel 2003.  Column A  the cell is to small  to type the information “computer information” so I went to  Format, Cells and then to wrap so “computer information is  now in one cell. 
    I would reverse that, i.e. cancel the wrap setting, and then just widen the columnn so that the contents will display.  Is that a problem?