Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: OEM XP Pro CD doesnt work with Compaq XP Pro Case Key  (Read 2819 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
OEM XP Pro CD doesnt work with Compaq XP Pro Case Key
« on: April 27, 2009, 11:05:47 AM »
Ran into this issue yesterday where I had a Compaq given to me with a blown motherboard. I replaced the motherboard and installed Windows XP Pro SP2 from OEM CD, and when trying to use the XP Pro Key on the case to use the copy of Windows XP licensed for that box it said invalid key, but I verified that I typed it all correctly.

I didnt want to install a second copy of that OEM CD onto another box and run both with the same key.

I ended up calling MS and activating the Windows XP Pro over the phone.

Only problem there is that I believe that I am still running off of the key activation from that OEM CD that I own that goes to my other system and I am concerned that the Key Entered off the Compaq Case may not have registered with Microsoft through the activate by phone.

Anyone know how I can verify my key to be the key that is on the outside of the case and if wrong if I can change it to the correct key that is an official label on the outside of the Compaq tower?

Not really worried about any legal problems because its got an XP Key affixed to the tower as required, showng that that box has a legal copy of XP Pro associated with it, but concerned if 2 copies are running with same key and trying to talk with MS India support is horrible with trying to address this concern.

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: OEM XP Pro CD doesnt work with Compaq XP Pro Case Key
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 11:11:07 AM »
Your Compaq Windows key will not work with an OEM version of Windows. You need the Compaq restore CD.