Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Desktop/Laptop CPU Performance Question  (Read 2013 times)

shadou

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Desktop/Laptop CPU Performance Question
    « on: April 29, 2009, 10:29:10 AM »
    I just recently purchased a refurbished Compaq equipped with an AMD Athlon 64x2 4200+ (2.2ghz, 2x 512kb L2-cache, Brisbane) and I wanted a general opinion on how its performance might compare with an Intel Core 2 Duo T5470 (1.6ghz, 2MB L2-cache, 800mhz FSB, Merom) that is on a laptop I currently use. I haven't had an AMD processor before, basically been using Intel for all my previous machines.

Will I get the same sort of performance (multi-tasking, office/internet, light video/audio encoding, and light gaming) with the older AMD compared to newer mobile C2D, or will there be a noticeable difference in favor of the C2D?

I understand the differences in clock speed (and possibly the sizes of the L2-caches), but I also know that each company utilizes difference CPU architectures, so direct comparisons between the two aren't that easy.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Desktop/Laptop CPU Performance Question
    « Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 10:49:15 AM »

I understand the differences in clock speed (and possibly the sizes of the L2-caches), but I also know that each company utilizes difference CPU architectures, so direct comparisons between the two aren't that easy.
    Exactly!
    Here are two reasons to stay with what you have:
    1.) You already have software and drivers that work. The 64bit AMD, being verydesirable,  has some requirements that can be a hassle.
    2. )In general the newer technology is preferred for reasons other that just speed. These include , battery life, cooling and and life span.

Burt yes, The AMD, with the optimum software, and more memory, performs better.