Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Power surge on one of my usb ports  (Read 2355 times)

Ladysmiles

Topic Starter

Starter

Power surge on one of my usb ports
    « on: April 26, 2009, 11:44:28 AM »
    Hello, I need help! I have windows PX and one of my usb port shows a power surge. I went into the device manager and uninstall all my usb including the root hub. as I am uninstalling it the computer was reading and finding before I could reboot. One came up as a power surge and said I should remove and reset. Oh I have I have seven usb ports and three devices plug in. When I go to plug in my wireless stick in the top port. My computer freezes and shuts down. IS THERE ANY HELP OUT! thank you ahead of time. :'(

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Power surge on one of my usb ports
    « Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 10:19:49 PM »
    What happens when you plug it in on its own?

Do all USB devices plugged into this port cause surges?

If so...stop using it. a shorting USB port can bring down the whole motherboard.

nalee

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 07:46:36 AM »
      I agree with Kurtiskain, dont use it, it will alot cheaper to replace a faulty usb device than to replace a motherboard.  Good luck
      "If you don't stand behind the troops, feel free to stand in front of em"

Ladysmiles

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 09:20:20 AM »
        I agree with you I stopped using it. I just don't understand why just that one port shows a power surge and not the others. I was plugging my linksys wireless stick into it. The port is locate on the top. I only have a storage device, mouse usb devices and they are plugged in the back. So I been plugging the linlsys in the back with no problem. Maybe I should ask this Question what is causing that port even when I don't have any devise plugged into it and go to device manager and uninstall. Why does the computer keeps telling me a Power purge for that one port and can this be fixed? I tried a rest that doesn't work. Must I remove the port altogether or just never use the port again?

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 12:35:57 AM »
        This generally happens when the device you plug in, asks for more current than is readily available, eg 250mA may be available, it may ask for 500mA, resulting in the computer trying to fix it by quickly increasing it, causing a surge.

The internal connectors that connect to the motherboard may be loose, faulty or (somehow) a connector may have come off.

Ladysmiles

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 01:15:35 PM »
          Thanks your responses have been very helpful. :)