Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sound issue  (Read 2860 times)

Tyguy

Sound issue
« on: May 09, 2005, 09:11:31 PM »
I'm not quite sure where this should go, I guess it could fall into a few categories. Regardless, here is my problem:

First off, I'm running Windows XP Pro. When I am at my desktop, the sound works fine. When I start a game it works fine for a certain period of time, then goes out. After a while it will come back on for a while and then go back out again. If I exit to my desktop it works fine again, but when I restart the application the same thing happens. The periods of time also seem to differ from game to game. Here are a few examples:

Warcraft III: The sound works for about a half hour, then goes out for an about an hour.

Doom III: The sound works for an hour or two, then goes out and doesn’t come back about an hour later.

Guild Wars: Sound goes in and out every few minutes.

The Elder scrolls III: Morrowind: Sound rarely goes out at all.

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory: Sound has never gone out.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with the games themselves because I played them before I reformatted my hard drive without any problems, so I’m guessing I didn’t do something right during/after formatting. I am using on-board sound (INTEL ICH4). I tried swapping the speakers with known good ones, re-installing the drivers that came with the motherboard (Intel D845EPI), downloading and installing latest drivers from the web, and also checking the CMOS settings. None of these have worked and I’m all out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated. If you need any more information just ask and I will try to provide it.

Thanks

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Sound issue
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 07:17:00 AM »
Do you have virus protection? Have you tried running a Windows Update by going to http://www.microsoft.com ?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Tyguy

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 02:25:35 PM »
I currently use E-Trust Antivirus and AVG free for virus protection and I have the latest Windows Updates.

Tyguy

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 02:36:12 PM »
Just bumping my post. If anyone has an advice please post it here.

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 02:43:34 PM »
run diagnostics......type dxdiag in the run box........for any reports?/try rolling back the drivers??or download this >
http://www.active-hardware.com/english/misc/sandra.html

it maybe a overheating problem......or a conflict issue ?/\
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 02:45:05 PM by merlin_2 »

Tyguy

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 03:56:34 PM »
I ran diagnostics, everything passed. I had already checked for conflicts, sorry I didn't mention that in the original post. I'll try to see if that download can do anything. Also, when I went to rollback the driver it said the one it would install was not signed by Microsoft. Should I try it anyway?