Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Install XP Home... Question  (Read 3070 times)

Don@CCC

Install XP Home... Question
« on: May 12, 2005, 03:47:01 PM »
Hi! I have a question about Windows XP Home... I have the full version CD, but I have used it once on my computer already... I fear that I need to erase hy hard drive again, and I still want XP... My questions is... Will my XP CD allow me to install XP again on my computer, or will the security device stop me?

Thanks!

Computer_Commando

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Install XP Home... Question
    « Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 04:30:33 PM »
    [email protected] you are simply formatting your existing pc to clean it up and wish to do a clean install on the same pc ......there shouldnt be any problems , with either registration or activation . However if you made significent hardware changes.....  ie a new motherboard (a totally differant one )  ....then you may have problems activating XP again ........If that were to happen you can telephone M/S and explain to them that you have had to change the mobo so your hardware configuration is differant . They will activate it for you or certainly tell you how to .

Hope this helps

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 04:32:28 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Don@CCC

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 05:43:34 PM »
    Hi guys. Thanks for the information! I haven't made any hardware changes, accept for the time when I TRIED to upgrade my video card... It wasn't compatible, but I thought it was... (BIG mistake)  The drivers got messed... That's about it... Oh. I also added more RAM, for what that's worth... Nothing else... Just to clear it up... I used that CD to install XP on my computer about two years ago.... Now, I want to use the same CD again to avoid paying so much... (on the same computer),,, I just want to make sure that when I fdisk and erase everything, that the CD will still install for me.... You think that it will work?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Mac

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 02:45:06 PM »
    You shouldn't have to use fdisk just boot directly to the XP CD and do all of your partitioning then format drive C:

You can format the other partitions using XP's Disk Management.

Does the CD have SP2? If not you can slipstream the SP2 service pack using AutoStreamer 1·0 which will make you an .ISO file from which to burn an up-to-date XP SP2 CD which means a lot less updating to do.

XP Clean Installing
    XP Compatability Test
    XP Partition Management
    XP Installing Recovery Console

RAM Knowledge Base
    RAM And What it Does
    RAM Virtual Memory Paging
    RAM Reseating & Fitting PDF File

Processor Temperatures
    Service Pack Slipstreamer
    Power Supply Wattage Calculator
    Everest Home Edition Computer Diagnostic Program

E.G. I install XP Pro to a 10240 Mb (10 Gb) drive C: and use three other partitions on an 80 Gb drive.

Don@CCC

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 08:16:01 PM »
    Yes, the CD comes with Service Pack 2... I now know how to install it with the CD, but the question is... Will it work, or was it a one time use only deal?

Mac

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2005, 12:07:24 AM »
    It will work. Just register like you did before, if asked to do so.