Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Display problems only getting worse!  (Read 1919 times)

Shanna1875

Topic Starter

Rookie

Display problems only getting worse!
    « on: May 02, 2009, 11:28:49 AM »
    We had some bad storms come in and in the midst of shutting down my computer the electricity went out briefly. The computer came back on and the display was fine. I proceeded to got ahead and shut everything down.

The following afternoon, when I turned on my computer... the display was cloudy, had a green tint and I had no internet connection. After a few hours with my internet provider technical support, they told me that I needed a new network card and I would be better off buying a new computer. I simply used the USB cable that came with my modem to bypass the ethernet. Now I have an internet connection again but, my display is still bad and is steadily getting worse. Now everything is darker and has a blue tint.

I made the mistake of stopping by a repair shop and speaking to someone about getting a new video card. I was told computers aren't built these days to add onto.  ::)  I may not know much about computers but, I know better than that. Yes, my video card is part of the motherboard but I do have a PCI Express slot available. Is it my card or do I need to replace the cord or it is something else? What do I need to fix?

What does this button do?!

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Display problems only getting worse!
    « Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 04:57:07 AM »
    Try borrowing a screen to test first, to see if it is the monitor.

Then try to borrow a known working PCI-e card, as yes, if yours is built in to the motherboard, it will allow you to use another card.

generally however, this sounds to me like more of a monitor issue than a video card issue, as the colour changed, and I believe if the onboard card was that messed up, it shouldn't boot.

Shanna1875

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 10:04:30 AM »
      Thanks for the reply. When I read your response I had already bought a video card, which did fix the problem. I installed it myself and it was very simple. I'm just glad I didn't take it to a repair store. This whole experience has raised my curiosity, now I'm wanting to learn more about pc's. Just not sure where to begin. Anyways-- Thanks again.  ;)
      What does this button do?!

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 10:20:39 AM »
      now I'm wanting to learn more about pc's. Just not sure where to begin.
      Hang around here :)
      Welcome aboard :)