Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installing Direct X 9 or 10 on FUBARED laptop  (Read 2457 times)

desperateforsolution

Topic Starter

Installing Direct X 9 or 10 on FUBARED laptop
    « on: April 25, 2009, 11:36:54 AM »
    Hi there,

my laptop has seen better days and when I try to install Direct X 9 on a legitimate Windows XP system, it won't connect to the internet properly to download it (when you download the Direct X 9 installer, it's only a small file which you then connects to the internet to download the big file).

As a source of reference, I can only get Firefox to connect to the internet properly as internet explorer also can't connet properly (and I suspect hence the problem with the Direct X installer not connecting properly).

I would install Windows 7 beta if possible, I've bought a game with the Direct X on it but that didn't work, I've considered going with Linux and trying to find a Direct X alternative. I'm now thinking of just buying a new laptop.

Any simple suggestions on this one?
    Thanks so much.

lostcoast

Hopeful
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Installing Direct X 9 or 10 on FUBARED laptop
    « Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 02:30:30 PM »
    I would just install win xp clean with reformat of hard drive to save time and effort or use restore CD's.

If you want to try and see whats wrong then you may want to start here 1st to see if you are infected with virus or malware

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html

then you can tackle other issues.

updating windows updates, critical and non-critical can help too...In your case Runtime should be updated.

here is another handy link:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en
    « Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 02:43:40 PM by lostcoast »
    I am  Moderator of Computerhope Chat, for live help and assistance please use/click Free Help in the upper forum toolbar.

midsail

Hopeful
      « Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 06:33:57 PM »
      U could also try fixing the present Win. Boot from the Win CD and do like if u were going to a install. DO NOT USE THE REFORMAT OPTION. Just follow instructions and it will get to a fix this install option. Choose this option and like it run. It will take about 30 mins for this fix. Write back and let us know?

desperateforsolution

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 04:25:36 PM »
        This is a good idea, but unfortunately with Sony VAIO I don't think the option exists. You can only reinstall everything and not just fix current install. I'll double check, but so far it looks like it's all or nothing.

Thanks.

midsail

Hopeful
          « Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 09:50:37 AM »
          See if u can barrow a friend Win CD. Let us know.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 01:22:02 PM »
          All or nothing may not be true...
          If you can borrow an XP CD that matches your version and the SP's installed you can run a repair install...

Repair Install of XP
          Read thru it so you understand the procedure...then print a copy for reference.
          Done properly all your apps and data will be intact...
          Done improperly your data and apps will be gone but you will have a clean install of XP.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

x2543

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 02:50:13 PM »
          and also, if you find out that some system files are needing fixing, you can try upgrading in place to same version of windows (given you have that upgrade CD) and windows should repair system files.....